How to make chickens to go into coop at night?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Quyen Le, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    I have finished my coop and run. I put 16 of 6 week old chickens in there and they only sleep in the run area, not in the coop area even though they can walk up there fine. What should I do to get them to come up there at night?

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

You might put a night light in there one of those battery operated things so they can see to get settled in. You wont need it for long... Then feed them a treat at bedtime and lock them in.

deb

3. MnMPoultry

MnMPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Paragon, IN
    Did you leave them locked IN the coop for a few days before opening it up into the run? The birds need time to adjust to knowing where "home" is and where they're supposed to sleep. Trust me, works like a charm. Same principal applies when moving free-ranging birds into different coops. :)

4. Quyen Le

Jul 9, 2012
    I don't have the lock door for the coop yet. I will make one tomorrow. I have put them in there the first night and they all slept in there. I since added a glass window, roosting bars. I have light in the coop area from 8pm to midnight to invite them to get in there. I will try treat and lock them up tomorrow, thanks.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    When I first got my pullets, I lured them into the coop at dusk using scratch and snacks. Did that for a few nights and they quickly got the idea.

6. So glad this question came up, I too have a new coop built and the pen is almost finished too. My 8 chickens are staying in my dog kennel at this time. Its worked great for the summer but will not do for the winter.
    I too was wondering how to get them to adjust to the new housing. I thought about putting the food and water inside before dark and when they want to get inside for the night, they would go in ok. I might try the light idea for the first night or two, maybe a night light.

Good luck with yours Quyen Le

7. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    For 2 nights after building my new coop I had to round each of them up and put them in. The 3rd night they all went in. It's as amazing to me as how each milk cow only has to be shown once to know what milking stanchion to go to every night.

8. Quyen Le

Jul 9, 2012
    I put a lock door to lock them in the coop last night but didn't put water or food there. In the morning when the door open, they all run for water. Will put water there tonight.

9. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

I kept mine in the coop for several days, never had a problem

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've found it takes 5 or 6 days for a chicken to embrace a coop as their own. Once they "own" it, it is home. Keep them locked in the coop until that happens is what normally works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by