how to make duck pond?

Silkie-Feet

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Ky, Kentucky
I am wanting to breed some mallards soon, and need a pond in my run. I have an idea but i need your help to know if i can do it. I am wanting to dig a spot, and place some black plastic in it to make it hold water like a koi pond. will this work? Can they puncture the plastic with bill/feet? I am at a lost, if you have a cheap idea please tell me. i need some information asap so i can start this project. ty.

We had a few ducks for fun at one time, for a swimming source we used a large kiddie pool. If you used heavy duty plastic, I think it would work.

I would say the hard plastic would work just fine. My neighbor had ducks and they dug a hold and put one of the hard plastic kiddie pools in the ground and it worked great.

we will be using a hard plastic kiddie pool. how big do you want your duck pond? if you do a search , theres a byc'er that built a pond for all her ducks. its massive and awesome! search around the duck thread.
good luck.
smile.png

the only thing I would say about digging a hole and using plastic liner is not being able to clean it very well. If you could get some kind of filter system in there or a way to occassionally drain it that might work. I hear ducks are VERY messy.

We used to nurse ducks back to health from the city park lake and then return them when they were well - they are messy because you need water for them and they do their business in the water which makes it dirty and smelly. We used to just use a bucket to get out what we could then basically put the hose on hard stream and wash the rest of it out. We used a hard plastic kid pool. The chores aren't so tough to do when you enjoy the animals.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom