1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to make duck pond?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Silkie-Feet, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    I am wanting to breed some mallards soon, and need a pond in my run. I have an idea but i need your help to know if i can do it. I am wanting to dig a spot, and place some black plastic in it to make it hold water like a koi pond. will this work? Can they puncture the plastic with bill/feet? I am at a lost, if you have a cheap idea please tell me. i need some information asap so i can start this project. ty.

2. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    We had a few ducks for fun at one time, for a swimming source we used a large kiddie pool. If you used heavy duty plastic, I think it would work.

3. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    Thanks so much, but i could just imagine their nails digging into my hard work. Anyone else, what did you do?

4. WVman

WVman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Salt rock/Hamlin, WV
    Not they will not puncture they koi type ponds

5. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    are you talking about ponds like kiddie pools (hard plastic) or, rollable plastic WVman?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  6. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    I would say the hard plastic would work just fine. My neighbor had ducks and they dug a hold and put one of the hard plastic kiddie pools in the ground and it worked great.

7. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    but i realy wanna use the rollable plastic so i can make the pond as deep and big as i want, so will that work?

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    we will be using a hard plastic kiddie pool. how big do you want your duck pond? if you do a search , theres a byc'er that built a pond for all her ducks. its massive and awesome! search around the duck thread.
    good luck.
    [​IMG]

9. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    the only thing I would say about digging a hole and using plastic liner is not being able to clean it very well. If you could get some kind of filter system in there or a way to occassionally drain it that might work. I hear ducks are VERY messy.

10. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    We used to nurse ducks back to health from the city park lake and then return them when they were well - they are messy because you need water for them and they do their business in the water which makes it dirty and smelly. We used to just use a bucket to get out what we could then basically put the hose on hard stream and wash the rest of it out. We used a hard plastic kid pool. The chores aren't so tough to do when you enjoy the animals. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by