How to make hens lay in different nest boxes??

cluckychick

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
South of KCMO
I have 5 nest boxes and all my hens (16 hens) but 2 think they need to lay in one. The mornings are hectic to say the least because my hens run around cackling wanting the use of this one box and now I think I have a Buff Orp trying to go broody in it. I of course will have my DH take her out as I don't want her sitting at this time. I have no room for another broody. I already have one sitting on 4 eggs and one with 3 babies in quarentine.

How do I get the hens to use another box? I feel so bad for the ones that want to lay and have to wait their turn because they refuse to use another box. They are all the same and I have fake eggs in all of them.

when no one is sitting on the nest block it off to force them to use the other...also I have noticed that if the sides seperating the nests were not tall enough the hens did not want to use it...

My hens prefer the darker box with the least glare and they prefer hay over straw, or wood chips. And they do not like chickens above them while they are laying. Also which stall would you rather sit in?

Last edited:
It is instinctive. Hens normal behavior is to lay together like that.

Don't feel bad for them. I have had as many as 7 at once trying to laying in one box.

Even with a broody hen other hens will try to lay in her nest andlet her hatch the eggs.

It is the way of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom