how to make my chickens like me?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beginnerchick08, Mar 4, 2009.

1. beginnerchick08

beginnerchick08 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Alabama
    whenever i stick my hand in the box all the chickens run from me my week olds only come when i have food in my hand. and my couple of day olds dont come to me at all. how do u get them to like you?

2. fairladi_chick

fairladi_chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    gray court,sc
    give them time, chicks will & do run, but will warm up to you. just go in there more often & talk to them, hold them, it will all work out in the end.

3. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Get over it, I have a farm cat that loves my wife, and then there are a few that love me. Thats just the way they are. And chickens that are lovable one day may decide to be independent the next. Thats the way animals are, and especially chickens. Remember that chickens have a very small brain and most of their cranial activity is spent on survival, not developing loving relationships.

4. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    ouch!! haha tim tx sounds like you need some lovin from the animals haha jk jk he is right just remember when all else fails, in all reality, above all else chickens are simply, comletely just plain stupid, dumb and ignorant. but boy arent they fun and entertaining

5. ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Central California
    One package of Meal Worms.. or Wax worms and you will win them over.. but be warned... they might start begging.. LOL
    I've had to tear the worm in half to get them to start on them.. but I've even won over game chicks! [​IMG]

6. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Just like you said, the way to a chicken's heart is through their stomach. None of our chics liked us last year, the one we have left loves us because I bring her bread, greens, scratch.... [​IMG] That and she things I'm a rooster [​IMG]

7. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    meal worms and small crickets will win them over quick. also just plain chick feed in the hand will work after the meal worms. before you know it you will have chicks lunging themselves at your hand.

8. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Actually there's a good side to loving,, and a good side for them to stay away from you..

It's nice to have them small running up to you to get a few bites and being close.. but when they get big, and then want to follow you up to the house pooping all over your porch, driveway, etc,, then it's not fun anymore..

This is what I have to put up with on my 7 Turkeys....[​IMG]

But my chickens would run away from me for 5-6 months.. They are just now starting to allow me to get a little closer to them, and getting out into the grassy areas instead of heading to the woods when I let them out..

9. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    My husband still wears heavy gloves because he is scared they will "get him" because of all the treats he gives them!

A way to a man's heart is through his stomach...same as chickens!

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    When one of our girls was a chick, she HATED us! We named her PIA..short for Pain In the A** because she was the most difficult pullet with a HUGE attitude. THEN...she got hormones! HA HA Ever since she hit puberty and started laying she turned from devil bird to lap hen. She is now the most cuddly chicken I have ever seen and just a real doll. Maybe yours will lighten up once they hit puberty too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by