How to make pelleted food crumbled

scarter

Songster
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Roberts, WI
I searched the board and couldn't find the answer to this. We specifically asked at our feed store for duck starter and when I opened the package it's pellets. Should I somehow crumble these up? Did they give me the wrong thing? When he went to put the bags into my car it said game bird feed. I told him the wrong thing got ordered and he assured me that everything that isn't chicken food is packaged from this company in this bag. There is a tag on the side. He checked the tag and it's duck starter. Why pellets? Will they eat this and be ok as day old shipped ducks? They should be arriving either in the morning or Friday morning at the latest.

Day olds wont be able to swallow the pellets. You can put some in a bag and hit it with a rolling pin... Or drive over it in your car.... I have heard of people doing both... Or even soak it in a bit of water. However it might be wiser to go back to the store...Starter has different levels of protein and other nutrients, so to give your ducklings the best start inlife, it may be better to swap the bag for what you really needed.

They had to order it so I'm sure they won't take it back. I need to look personally at the tag I guess. I'll put it in the food processor.

Quote:
What! you haven't looked at the tag yourself? I never leave the store before I check the tags myself. Don't process too much at a time if it is a pellet the ducks could be eating it in 3 weeks. Frankly I doubt that it is Duck Starter or any kind of starter why make a pellet that is to large to eat?

LOL no I didn't check the tag myself. They specifically ordered it for me and they seem to know what they are talking about although now I'm starting to get frustrated with them. Everytime I ask about something they give me a natural alternative and I like that. They are OLD farmers so I figure they are up on things. Oh well. The pellets are pretty small pellets. When I get warmed up I'll brave the temps and go out and look at the tag. So funny someone would pick up on that.
smile.png
Is grower feed tiny pellets? These are bigger than spaghetti but smaller than a pencil. I have some chick starter and will feed that this morning if they come and run up and get some game bird feed if this isn't what I need.

With this last batch of ducklings I just took the flockrasier pellets and crushed it with a coffee cup. I also sprinkled grit on the bottom of the brooder for them. When they started going through more feed than I could crush with my coffee cup, I just started giving them the pellets. It worked out fine.

I know we need to pay close attention, but I had to chuckle about checking the tags. I went to a feedstore I trust, bought starter crumbles, had the 50 pound bag loaded into the car, drove off . . . and had that "oh, what if they gave me the wrong stuff" moment.
hmm.png

Happily, I needed gasoline in the car, the station was a few doors down, and while the gas was pumping, I checked the tag!!

Shew! The right stuff!

We do what we can with what we have, yes?

Back
Top Bottom