How to make rehoming easier?

Cinnamon11

Songster
May 18, 2020
California
I have a 12 week old rooster that I will be rehoming this weekend (they are illegal where I live) and I’m wondering how to make rehoming easier on him and my 8 hens? He is very closely bonded with the 2 pullets he grew up with and they spend all their time together. He is going to a close friend with 8 hens who lives on an orchard and it’s a great home for him but I’m worried he’ll miss his sisters and they’ll miss him.

Attachments

• CD305A2D-3731-4999-9353-7624858865BD.jpeg
    CD305A2D-3731-4999-9353-7624858865BD.jpeg
    753.9 KB · Views: 19
Once he gets settled in with the new hens, he'll be fine. It usually takes two weeks for a new chicken to adjust to their new flock.

On a side note, I'm doing this small study of roosters with their sisters. Now, first thing off the bat, you're not to breed a brother to a sister, so that's crossed out. But what I am studying is how they are with each other. Of my two cases (so far, and of Standards) I'm finding that roosters treat their sisters worse than the other hens who aren't related, and sometimes are abusive to them. (In the study so far, both cases were raised together from hatch.) So that being said (further study would be better), over time, your rooster might not be good with his sisters, so it might better that he's being rehomed.

Once he gets settled in with the new hens, he'll be fine. It usually takes two weeks for a new chicken to adjust to their new flock.

On a side note, I'm doing this small study of roosters with their sisters. Now, first thing off the bat, you're not to breed a brother to a sister, so that's crossed out. But what I am studying is how they are with each other. Of my two cases (so far, and of Standards) I'm finding that roosters treat their sisters worse than the other hens who aren't related, and sometimes are abusive to them. (In the study so far, both cases were raised together from hatch.) So that being said (further study would be better), over time, your rooster might not be good with his sisters, so it might better that he's being rehomed.
Thank you! That’s very interesting! There not related by blood but have been together since about 2 days old.

Juvenile roosters tend to be very hard on pullets, I do not think it on sisters, but rather birds that are same age as he is. I may have misinterpreted Lacy's Duckwings study.

Flock mate roosters - tend to get bigger first, and become sexually active long before their 'sisters' do, and can harass them mercilessly.

As for the OP - I have noticed 2-3 days, a little off behavior when I have sold or had a predator get a great friend, but then they forget. It is not nearly as traumatic as one might suppose.

Mrs K

Juvenile roosters tend to be very hard on pullets, I do not think it on sisters, but rather birds that are same age as he is. I may have misinterpreted Lacy's Duckwings study.

Flock mate roosters - tend to get bigger first, and become sexually active long before their 'sisters' do, and can harass them mercilessly.

As for the OP - I have noticed 2-3 days, a little off behavior when I have sold or had a predator get a great friend, but then they forget. It is not nearly as traumatic as one might suppose.

Mrs K
Thank you! He has been sweet to them so far but that makes lot of sense, he has recently been pretty awful to my Silkie hen who I’m trying to break her broodynes and that along with his more constant crowing told me it was time for him to go. It’s bittersweet but I think it’s going to be a perfect home for him!

Back
Top Bottom