How to make the chicks trust me?

Shkoda

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
How can I make my chicks trust me? I give them treats in my hand, and now they're not afraid of my hand but they still don't trust me to hold them.

Most of my chicks don't either, especially my two black australorps. I do have two pretty docile wyandottes who tolerate being held but the rest scratch and flap and try to get away back to the rest of the flock.

My chicks are 12 days old. I have found that they HATE being cupped and held in our hands but they love for me to open the brooder cage door and let them hop out on their own onto my arms. They will willingly hop onto my arms and climb up to my shoulders. They will sit down in my hands and fall asleep -- but they like to have the freedom to do this on their own and not feel threatened. They like it most when it is just me ... when my kids are around they are less willing to come out of the brooder.

I was explaining to my kids that these chicks are baby birds NOT baby people. Their mothers don't hold them and carry them around like we do our babies. I think by being the hand that feeds them and cares for them ... we build trust and by being gentle and patient we encourage them to interact with us.

I try to pick each one up at least once a day, and talk to them. When I'm around the brooder I'll talk or sing to them ( "who's a pretty chick-en? you're a pretty chick-en!" lol ) even if I don't pick them up. I also hand feed them when I can :)

Ya, it probably has a lot to do with my loud and excited children. Especially my two year old who squeals in delight every time the chicks do anything.

I do try and talk to them and handle them some each day but we have ten chicks and most of them look the same so I can't really tell if I've spent time with each one, lol.

Back
Top Bottom