How to manage my 3 roosters and keeping my 2 hens safe

Rebecca Nina

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2017
I am concerned that my 3 roosters are going to hurt the 2 hens, since they are out numbered. And, I am having the hardest time re -homing any of the roosters, and I put an ad out to get another hen, but am looking for one that is at least 4 months old and of course is a silkie, but that has failed as well. I am afraid that I am over my head, and am so worried that the hens will get killed. When I go in the coop to change their water etc., the roosters will attack the hens and I cannot stand it. So any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Sounds like you need to make a double batch of chicken soup.....

I have been there in the exact same boat with you, and that is no fun! I suggest building a bachelor pad for the roosters and keeping them there until you can get rid of them, but 1 rooster to 2 hens is too much, much less 3 roosters to 3 hens.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks, so it is possible for the hens to be killed in this situation.

Adding one pullet won't fix the problem, you need at least another 20. Since that is unlikely you should separate those bad boys into their own bachelor pad to give those poor pullets some peace. If you don't want to butcher them yourself then list them in your local feed store or craigslist snd don't ask questions.

Time to cull the roosters; it's not as difficult as you may think, especially when you consider that the situation is as bad for the roos as the hens; 3 to 2 is liable to not only hurt the hens, but the roos, too as they will engage each other in their dominance battle. Plus, it's recommended to have 9-12 hens per one roo. Physical injuries to the birds aside, the stress of the constant in-fighting and mating attempts can lead to disease.

Back
Top Bottom