1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to Market] Birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PalmRoyal, Aug 27, 2014.

1. PalmRoyal

PalmRoyal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Lima, OH
    Hello all! I have Royal Palm turkeys, Muscovy ducks, then I am looking into raising a few Brahma chickens. How would I go about marketing the young culls that are butchering size? How would you go about marketing the older breeders?

For my farm, I choose terminal culling for animals that are not up to par in show quality or exhibit bad behaviors. I feel that it is the most humane and fair option. If there is another option that fits that animal better (such as pond ducks, pets or showmanship birds), then I will market them as such and try to find a family or individual that is best for that animal (however, this option has a very limited pool of people that are trustworthy or will give the commitment to the animal that it needs, I tend to find). On the other hand, I feel proud to offer meat that was raised in a humane, comfortable and fair way rather than supermarket animals. Being vegetarian, I take a very odd pride in my market animals. However, I have no idea how to market my animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by