How to move flock to an entirely new coop?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
If I wanted to build a larger coop for my adult hens (the one they're in is tiny and impossible to maintain well) How would I go about switching the flock when it's ready for move in? Do I have to do it gradually? Do I have to put them in only the new coop first, then open it up to the run? Do I just let them free range a bit with the door to the new one open, then when it's time for them to go in for the night toss some treats in? Do I take them off the roost and move them? I have no idea how to do this.

It might be good to take them off the roost and put them in at night so they wake up in their new abode, but any of those ideas may work.....

It might be good to take them off the roost and put them in at night so they wake up in their new abode, but any of those ideas may work.....
Ok, thank you....this is all purely hypothetical at the moment, because I still don't have a new one built..I just like to plan ahead. I've never actually had to take any off the roost. Do they freak out?

I actually don't roost train mine. Our coop didn't have a roost, just the nest boxes so they sleep there.

Yes i know I should have a roost, we built it with the implication birds slept on their nests like in movies

We always moved them in the evening when it's dark. You can catch them easy and deposit then on the new roost to ensure they get started using the roost. You may need to keep them cooped a couple days so they learn where their feed is before free ranging and so they don't return to their old coop

Back
Top Bottom