How to nicely euthenize a chick?

cgjsmith

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
tennessee
Sorry if its spelled wrong. I had severl chicks hatch in the last few days and one of them just won't get up on its feet. If I cn't figure out a way to get it right I'll have to euthenize it. I know I won't be able to snap its neck is there anything I can do to make it go to sleep and move on? Crystal

This is hard. We've all been there.

The best way is to remove the head with a heavy sharp knife. I know you are cringing
as you read this but it's the quickest way for the chick.

It won't last long in it's current condition. You can always wait until it passes naturally.

If you want to try and save it then handfeed it yogurt on a spoon. I like to mix
some chick feed in with the yogurt so it gets the feed too. A good vitamin and
mineral suppliment in the water is critical too. Make it drink. I've had mixed
luck with this. Losing a chick after nursing it for a week sucks really bad.

Don

Quote:
This is not considered a "humane" death in veterinary medicine. Generally, the easier it is for us, the harder it is for the chick.

Someone had a good idea to use a sharp pair of scissors, that might be easier than a knife. Death would be instant.

I just hit their head on concrete. Usually, it's instant death. Sorry about your chick.
hugs.gif

I called my vet and asked how to put a chicken down if chopping it's head off isn't an option. I was told that when you put them in the freezer they just go to sleep but it's not a quick death...pro's and con's but that is what the vet recommended to me.
idunno.gif

sad.png
sad.png
I HAVE PUT ILL OR HURT DOMESTIC BIRDS IN THE FREEZER. I WRAP TOILET PAPER AROUND THEM IN A SNUG FASION AND THEN PUT THEM IN A PLASTIC BAGGIE. THEY JUST GO TO SLEEP.

Back
Top Bottom