1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to nicely euthenize a chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cgjsmith, Mar 8, 2008.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Sorry if its spelled wrong. I had severl chicks hatch in the last few days and one of them just won't get up on its feet. If I cn't figure out a way to get it right I'll have to euthenize it. I know I won't be able to snap its neck is there anything I can do to make it go to sleep and move on? Crystal

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    This is hard. We've all been there.

The best way is to remove the head with a heavy sharp knife. I know you are cringing
    as you read this but it's the quickest way for the chick.

It won't last long in it's current condition. You can always wait until it passes naturally.

If you want to try and save it then handfeed it yogurt on a spoon. I like to mix
    some chick feed in with the yogurt so it gets the feed too. A good vitamin and
    mineral suppliment in the water is critical too. Make it drink. I've had mixed
    luck with this. Losing a chick after nursing it for a week sucks really bad.

Don

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I've heard others on here that have placed it in a shoe box and put it in the freezer. I know it sounds harsh but they just go to sleep. This is never easy.

4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:This is not considered a "humane" death in veterinary medicine. Generally, the easier it is for us, the harder it is for the chick.

Someone had a good idea to use a sharp pair of scissors, that might be easier than a knife. Death would be instant.

5. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I just hit their head on concrete. Usually, it's instant death. Sorry about your chick. [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Use a pair of sharp scissors. Take the head off quick and clean.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I soak a rag or paper towel with starter fluid (ether)...NOT....lighter fluid..... and put the rag and chick in a can with an air tight lid.

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I called my vet and asked how to put a chicken down if chopping it's head off isn't an option. I was told that when you put them in the freezer they just go to sleep but it's not a quick death...pro's and con's but that is what the vet recommended to me. [​IMG]

9. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Look at the instructions for home euthanasia of small pets at this link:

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

A friend used this method to put down a beloved pet rat with cancer and she told me the rat fell asleep and died with no obvious signs of distress.

So sorry for this difficult situation.

10. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    [​IMG][​IMG] I HAVE PUT ILL OR HURT DOMESTIC BIRDS IN THE FREEZER. I WRAP TOILET PAPER AROUND THEM IN A SNUG FASION AND THEN PUT THEM IN A PLASTIC BAGGIE. THEY JUST GO TO SLEEP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by