How to Not Get Attached to Meat Birds :/

new2chickens2011

Songster
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Hellooo,

I am getting my first meat birds tomorrow. I am excited, but I don't want to get attached to the little things!!! How do you guys play with them but still stay detached enough to eat them for dinner??? Aaargh! Difficult!

It's true, they are so cute as chicks it's hard not to get attached but I did just a little. I actually saw my attachment as a part of my respect for the bird and the process. I fed them from hand, carried them around a little and talked to them. I also admired the size of their drumsticks, I mean legs, as they ran around. I felt a little hesitation and reverence when harvest day came. All of this felt right and natural. I also know that they are not meant for longevity and keeping them is really not an option.

Anyway, that's how I worked it out. Hope it helps!

Good luck!

Here is my advice learned the hard way.....

First- make the decision NOT to get attached
Second- DO NOT PLAY WITH THEM- Feed them, treat them humanely and keep them clean
Third- Don't name them or give them endearing chicken calls like"here chickie, chickie" or address them as "the girls"
Fourth- Realize it is hard the day you take them to butcher. You may tear up and may even cry, but this is the decision you made and must stick to it. Meat birds are not like layers or dual purpose, they are not meant to live a long pampered life.

If you want to have birds to "play" with, look at getting layers or banty's, birds that can become pets without a butcher's date looming on the calendar.

Good Luck.

Oh it's hard, alright. I had 22 last year and they were so adorable. Most eventually got a little ugly and mean, so it wasn't too hard. I did name a couple. Just the Twins sho looked identical and were nothing but trouble, and Monkey. He made the cutest monkey noises, and had a very robust crow.

My best advice is to keep in mind all the time that they are going to be your meat. With mine, I had a little seat out in their yard and would go out and sit with them, and just watch their hilarious antics. They'd run around and even hop on my lap, and I loved them while they were here. And I still love them on my plate, because that's why I had them. You need to condition yourself for the day they "go in."

Maybe I was hard-hearted, but I didn't tear up. I was a little sad later in the day when out of habit I went out to give them milk. But other than that...
idunno.gif

Last edited:
*Sigh* Okay. Thank you all. I think I'll name them Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Teehee
smile.png
That was a good point about realizing that they aren't meant to live long lives as pets. I will respect them and be nice to them but they aren't pets.

Okay!!! I think I am READY!!

The cuteness only lasts a week then they stink. Don't play with them. I only water, feed and let free ranger.

I am very fond of the animals that end up on my table. I like them enough to provide them with excellent care, the best food, and to give them an easy end.

I spend enough time with them that they have no fear of me, so that when they are butchered, they are not frightened at any point during the procedure and their end is very quick.

You could always place your affections onto another object. Perhaps get an egg laying breed of duckling with the batch of chicks and focus your attentions on the duck.

Back
Top Bottom