How to on rehoming ducklings?

Newduckmother

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2022
Hello! So not a typical rehome considering I have only had them for about 24 hours now. My mom randomly gave me a "gift" and it was two baby ducklings. not only am I weirdly having allergic reactions to them but I just don't have the space for adult ducks in my backyard. I am a wildlife rehabber and am experienced with birds, and I am taking great care of them in the meantime so no worries on the health and safety of the cuties in the meantime just fyi. They have a wonderful set up with all the required things and are happy. I just don't think I can keep ducks for 10 years, and thought the more responsible time to rehome would be right away. What is the best way to go about this and the safest? I do not want someone getting them just because they are cute, or worse someone that will use them for meat. I am in butte county northern CA btw. Included picture just because they are cute.
IMG_1403.jpeg

They are adorable. If I wasn't already taking in other ducks that someone realized they didn't really want ducks, I would seriously consider.

Main thing I can think is just to ask a lot of questions of people. Rehoming them as slightly older ducklings may avoid impulse duck buyers. And avoid the college students in the area.

Not for meat is really hard. If they end up being drakes, people can only keep so many. Drakes are hard to rehome and often the best option is culling them. Some work in all drake flocks, but some will kill other drakes. You can say not for meat, but I have seen them in our area on Craigslist for months, especially drakes. If they are females, you won't have to worry about this.

Good luck in rehoming them.

They are adorable. If I wasn't already taking in other ducks that someone realized they didn't really want ducks, I would seriously consider.

Main thing I can think is just to ask a lot of questions of people. Rehoming them as slightly older ducklings may avoid impulse duck buyers. And avoid the college students in the area.

Not for meat is really hard. If they end up being drakes, people can only keep so many. Drakes are hard to rehome and often the best option is culling them. Some work in all drake flocks, but some will kill other drakes. You can say not for meat, but I have seen them in our area on Craigslist for months, especially drakes. If they are females, you won't have to worry about this.

Good luck in rehoming them.
Thank you so much for the informative post, that is helpful! Is there a way to know for sure what kind of ducks they are and the gender? My mom got them from tractor supply apparently on sale and they were just listed as assorted ducks :hmm

Have you considered Craigslist? I use it whenever I need to rehome birds. Here's an article on how to post on there if you're interested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-post-on-craigslist.76257/
(You don't need to write it up exactly as I did in that article because you're selling ducklings, not giving away roosters. Sorry I'm not sure what price to ask.)

If all else fails, Tractor Supply might take them and sell them.

Thank you so much for the informative post, that is helpful! Is there a way to know for sure what kind of ducks they are and the gender? My mom got them from tractor supply apparently on sale and they were just listed as assorted ducks :hmm
Looks like a Mallard and a Pekin to me. The one that looks like a Mallard could be a Rouen too. I am not the best at telling those two apart. Usually rouens have two lines over there eyes and Mallards 1, but it is not always 100% accurate.

For sexing, the only way to do it at that age is vent sexing. That can be difficult to do accurate and safely not hurting them. Otherwise, you have to wait till their voices change which can take up to 10 weeks of age. After that, they molt into their adult plumage about 12-13 growing the tail curl and possible drake colors depending on the breed.

Back
Top Bottom