How to own more than 7 chickens?

I'm in massachusetts now, actually going to move soon, and was trying to see where was chicken-friendly. I was also considering moving out of state too. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

Is there some way to just call myself a farm, but just an extremely small farm, so I could have more hens

More to it than just chickens I think. When I moved out here to Mars (i.e. western slope Colorado), I spent over a year reading and understanding the State, County, and City laws, regulations, and ordinances for every property I looked at. For overall freedom, you just cannot beat this area - freedom comes first and regulation be damned (Codes? Where we're going, we don't need codes).

Under no circumstances was I about to accept voluntarily giving up my rights to another HoA just because some lawyer submitted an intentionally oppresive boilerplate template.

Depending on your life skills, medical needs, and financial status I would suggest either Montezuma or Dolores counties along the western slope. Property is pretty cheap and freedom is the rule rather than the egg-ception.

Drawbacks to living in very remote areas:
NOTHING is convenient except what you have at hand.
No delivery food (learn to make your own!).
Not much to do except more nothin.
Broadband generally refers to music by Faith Hill or Reba McEntire.
Two grocery stores the size of small vending kiosks at an airport
!!NO MEDICAL SUPPORT!! do NOT get hurt as even a small injury can be fatal. This applies to pets / animals to. No vets.
More churches than suppliers - get used to driving hours / days for supplies, or going without entirely.
The cost of getting materials onsite overshadows the costs of labor or materials.

To the OP it has to do as the previous poster said, local state and fed rules, and an HOA if you buy in a HOA neighborhood... To call yourself a farm the IRS says a farm must GROSS $1,000 dollars/year Let's say you have two female dogs that are award winning dogs and which give birth to 10 puppies a year total which bring 100$ each, your a "farm". but if you only have eggs at $3dzn, that's a heck of a lot of eggs to sell to be a farm....

.... I was also considering moving out of state too. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

Yes I have some advice. Coming from someone who has imprisoned himself in the great state of NY do yourself a favor and move to some open country Red state before you start a family and set stakes in the ground.

Don't get me wrong I love NYS, but I live in the hills...NYC is the tail that wags the dog here and what the city people say goes, period...

I'm not sure how the local laws are enforced in the USA, here in Aus most residential areas allow up to 10 poultry to live in free standing dwellings (not permitted in townhouses units).

Most councils allow to people to apply for a permit to own more than 10. The procedure is, first you need to submit the application form including a $150 application fee and signed approval from neighbours (both sides and behind).

If the paperwork is approved, the next stage is for a council worker to visit your property to assess whether you have enough space in your backyard. They will also check the living and physical conditions of all your current animals to see if you are taking care of the animals you already have.
If everything is approved you'll get a written permit that's normally valid or a year. If a neighbour or passerby lodges any complaints about noise or concerns for excessive animals on your property, then the council will come and investigate but because of the permit they won't automatic seize them. Without the permit they may automatically take them (especially if the living conditions are below standard), or you may get a warning plus a fine and they will tell you to apply for a permit.
This is pretty much the standard procedure for anyone wanting to own more than the allowable number of any animal (e.g. owning more than 2 dogs or owning more than 4 different types of animals)

Some chicken owners in my suburb find the application process too much of a hassle. They have found it easier to buy nearby rural land (within 1-2 hours drive) and just visit it every weekend to check on the chickens and collect the eggs. Not sure how good this is for the chickens though and how they manage predators.

I'm new to chicken stuff. It seems like most towns have a regulation that you can own upto 7 hens. But I'm wondering, what if I like chickens, have enough space at my house, and want more, how can I own more than 7 chickens?
The best way is to move to the country,I know that can be hard to do. I did exactly that and haven't had any regrets, I now have 31 and the addiction is escalating lol.

I'm in massachusetts now, actually going to move soon, and was trying to see where was chicken-friendly. I was also considering moving out of state too. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

Is there some way to just call myself a farm, but just an extremely small farm, so I could have more hens
Georgia is great for chickens. No rules!

As a former member of our town's Planning and Zoning Commission, as well as a 4 year member of our town council, may I give you a little advice?

If your town rules state 7, then go with 7 or less. You will eventually be found out if you get more and your chickens may be removed, in addition to the chance of paying a hefty fine. But additionally, by flouting rules you might not like, you are making it extremely difficult for the next person who might want a small flock. Councils and commissions are perfectly within their responsibilities to say, "Well, we've learned that chicken owners will lie, and will not follow the rules as we've set them so we just don't trust that we can allow it anymore." There goes your chickens and future flocks as well. And those ordinances are for the benefit of the non-chicken loving community who might not share your love of chickens but that will still allow you to have some, in an attempt to appease both sides who have equal rights as residents.

So get a few. Find out if you enjoy it. Make sure you are willing to put the work in to maintain clean conditions and minimize annoyances to your neighbors. And think of yourself as an ambassador for the next folks who might want to try their hand at it. They are also learning from your behavior. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom