How To Patch An Egg????

Well, I have considered the advice given, and I am feeling like the band-aid method should work....it does make sense......Thank you everyone for the great advice. Fun....I will defenitely let ya'll know how this turns out. Got my fingers crossed, that's for sure. Cross with me, ya'll?? I have high hopes for this hatch.

A couple of month ago I had some lavender silkies egg arrive with 3 cracked. I put wax on all of them really thinking none would survive....BUT one of them did and is a lovely lavender chick now. These eggs have pretty big cracks. If it's small, you can use the liquid bandage that you can get at the pharmacy. A couple of light coats should be enough to help keep the moisture in and bacteria out.

You better be careful with that egg. It is compromised and bacteria may have already entered it. This egg can explode and contaminate the other eggs. You better keep on candling it on a regular basis and remove it if needed. I personally do not incubate compromised eggs. I know the feeling of meaning well, but you also have to look out for the remaining eggs.
Katharina

Hmm....Well, I have already made the decision to keep an eagle eye on this one egg in particular. I do know that a crack means it has been compromised to a point. I was just hoping against hope that I could hatch this particular egg. I definitely will watch it, and at the first moment I even think it's a goner, I will oust it. Thanks everyone.

I just hatched a turkey egg that I used Elmers glue on. It was more than a crack it was dented pretty good. I don't normally do that but I paid a bunch for those eggs so wanted to at least try.

A couple months ago I was candling some modern game bantam eggs that were on about day nine... I accidently tapped one of the eggs when I was placing another one back in the rack and I put a pretty good sized dent/crack right in the top and a smaller crack down one side. I cut a strip of scotch tape and applied it to the crack down the side and then the top, making sure it was sealed well all the way around but not much larger than the damaged area. When I went into lockdown I placed the egg in the hatcher with the tape on the side facing down and placed the egg between two dry sponges so it wouldn't get knocked around by its hatchmates. By placing the tape at the bottom I could be fairly sure that it would not be in the way of the initial pip. It went on to hatch without any problems and I left the tape in place. Not sure if I would trust a bandaid to keep bacteria out of the egg... most bandaids seem to be somewhat pourus and designed to breath.

Oh, wow, Geo....I love your Polish Avatar....is that one of your chickens? I love the Polish breeds and am hoping to get some from a lady I know.

I'm amazed you got the scotch tape to work....I will remember it "if" I have the problem. I think all of you have had some great ideas. I'm on my first hatch and cross my fingers all goes well.

Yeah it's an expensive egg, and covered over 50% of the shell with wax. Am candling daily at this stage to keep an eye on it (all looking good, movement and air cell prgression) at day 16. Here's to a healthy chick! Reckon it will need an assist though.

Will pray for the little chickie!! and will watch for updates on its progress & hatch. Anxious to see how the 50% wax works!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom