How to pick up "handle" geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by greathorse, Nov 10, 2009.

1. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I have 4 nice dewlap toulouse. They are not pets but are slowly getting used to me. I have not really had a need to pick these birds up to load them or handle them in any way but have begun the think aobut whether or not there is a proper way to do this.

I was at a show a few weeks ago and most geese were being carried by their wings. Folks would sort of fold both wings up and use them like a basket handle. Does this work on heavy geese as well. I would think that if one sort of cradled them in their arms it could get a bit rough, messy and just turn out bad, especially if the geese were not handled a lot.

Obviously these birds can get quite heavy and just not sure about how to go about picking them up without them or me getting hurt in some way.

2. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    I never really thought about how I picked mine up, but I did a search and found this site. I'm glad to know that I've been doing it correctly all along.
    I have real issues with people and how they 'man-handle' fowl. Wings, legs and feet were not meant to be used to transport fowl. Yes, you see it, but it doesn't make it right.

Here's the site... http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue37.htm

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Thanks that helps me. I sure saw a lot of folks packing geese around by folding their wings up above their backs. The birds did not seem to mind it but these were all light geese. I am guessing with the heavy birds it could be a bad thing. I even asked one old fella and he assured me that all geese are best handled like that.

Sure glad I checked here.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I kinda "scoop" my geese up from underneath but have to be careful of those sharp nails! So I make sure I have a long sleeve shirt or jacket on if I need to pick them up. I've raised parrots for 30 years and I definitely wouldn't pick one of those up by their wings no matter how light they were!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by