how to play with new chicks

lsilvera

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
alamo California
Just got 4 little ones last week. Everything is going ok, but how do you socialize them? I don't want them to feel harassed, but when I put my hand in the brooder, they run! I tried giving them one small spinach leaf torn up and they seems to like that--but is it ok to even give them anything other than chick food at this time? I read you should play with them in the first 60 days--but sorry, I don't know how to play with a chicken...help!

Lol. I would just hold them at least once a day. Get them used to being around you. Take them outside with you (Weather permitting of course). Give them some treats (They love cooked eggs!). Move slow and once they know that you are harmless and you give them yummy treats, they will be well socialized.
Another fun thing to do with them is whenever you give your chicks a treat say some sort of call (Mine is, "Heeere Chicky Chicky Chicky!"). Soon when they are across the yard and you yell out your call (In my case, "Heeere Chicky Chicky Chicky") They will all come running. Just be sure to give them treats each time.

Welcome to BYC, by the way!

Good Luck with your birds!
smile.png

Last edited:
My chicks are about 3 weeks old. Mine also ran every time my hand appeared in the brooder, as they knew the "I'm determined to catch you woman was back). When they were about a week old I bought a dozen (for 4 chicks) tiny little crickets. They went crazy for them. That was fun, but as they spent all their time chasing crickets, they didn't learn anything good about my hand. About 5 days later I bought some meal worms and put a dozen or so in the palm of my hand. Stuck my hand in the brooder and then was VERY still til the first one came to investigate and then alert the others that something good was actually attached to that chicken catching hand.

Now every third day or so I give them cooked egg yolk. They seem to love the yolk, not so much the white. Now when they see my hand coming into the brooder, they run like crazy to get there first. If I'm just there to clean water, change feed, or handle them, they kinda give me the you're not the hand I was looking for glare and quietly move off. If I just sit near the brooder, the still come near and sit and check me out, looking for treats I suppose.

Just give it time, they will learn that not everything you do is threatening.

thank you very much--I'm going to boil an egg now!!!will look for other goodies too-- I really appreciate everyone who has chimed in to help me!

Back
Top Bottom