how to play with non people loving chicks

This is a great thread! I'm gleaning ideas, and I like that many of you have had success with gentle handling and allowing them to get used to you.

Our chicks are BLRW, and right now there are three (we get more mixed chicks in 1 week!!!!). We have been handling them very briefly, and they seem a bit freaked out, especially initially as we scoop them from the brooder.

I have two boys, 7 and 3 and 1/2, and the older boy loves them to pieces. He is gentle, and i'm wondering how long to allow the boys to hold them? With kids, how do you treat them? Does it matter if you all hold them? I mean should there be one key person to each chick, so that they get used to the one person?

We talk to them softly any time we are around the brooder, especially if changing food/water/litter etc. and have given them a few treats, (not from our hands yet though).

Any other suggestions where raising chickens with kids are concerned? We plan to house them in a coop, and they will free range with us around, as well as in a tractor.

TIA!!!
love.gif

As long as your kids are gentle with them, I don't see why they shouldn't handle them. They will need to get used to each other sooner or later.

My 8yo DD loves all the chicks, but the RIR is her favorite. You should see the way her face lights up when little Lucky falls asleep in her hands. My 4yo doesn't hold them, but she is very gentle when she pets them.

Chickens love being fed. Whoever feeds them most is who they adore. I never had much trouble with silkies, getting them to come to me and be friendly. I even had some that would fly up on me when I was walking around outside. They would litterly leap up into the bucket for food. I always carried the same bucket with me when I fed the chickens, and I called them the same every time. It was a routine that sort of let them know it was feeding time and for that I got tackled by lots of loving birds that acted like they were starved lol.

As for any other types of chickens. Im not so sure of them. I did have a few game (fighting) chickens that I rescued once. The rooster had to be watched, as he would get you in the behind if you wasnt paying close attention. Never really got him to be friendly. And the hens were always very timid and never trusting. So some breeds just do better then others I think.

I am getttin my babies this Thursday!! But I am new at this.This forum is a life saver!! I have been nervous but now that I have read ALOT on here I feel like a pro! I do have a question about have feeding them.Does it hurt at all when they take food from you?I too have a 7 and 3 1/2 year old as well as an 18 month old.I know the older 2 will want to feed them. And can anyone tell me how much grit you have to give them when you start giving treats?I see that you have to give it but no one has said any amount.

Thank you for all the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom