how to prepare cucumber for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheBeatlesAddict, Jun 2, 2010.

1. TheBeatlesAddict

TheBeatlesAddict Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    elkhart, indiana
    today i was going to feed my chickens cucumber but i didnt know how or if it needs to be cut? i decided to just cut them into the tiniest pieces i could until i could get some feedback. i dont want them to choke or not be able to eat it

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I just slice them in half long way and let them pick at it.

3. TheBeatlesAddict

TheBeatlesAddict Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    elkhart, indiana
    ok. thank you. i was afraid they might choke on the skin or something. im very new at this

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Your chickens are very fortunate to have such a careful & considerate owner.

Personally, I think chickens are less likely to choke on things left mostly whole, so that they can peck off bites just big enough for them to handle. I think they're more likely to choke when they grab cut pieces that are really too big, but in their haste to consume it before their flockmates can, they try to swallow it down. But that's just my theory, I may be wrong.

I once saw a video of someone's hen swallowing a snake. After that I didn't worry so much about chopping up treats before serving them to my birds.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I do it both ways. If I chop things, I usually chop them small enough to easily swallow. Otherwise, I give them something so large that they just eat bites off of it. For foods they're unfamiliar with, if it has a firmer outside skin, it's good to at least open it up, so they can find the tasty center.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Sure, like watermelon or pumpkin, you gotta at least chop it in half with a shovel. But I think it's a waste of my time to pre-mince other things that they can just as easily peck into pieces themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by