How to prepare for necropsy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieCanada, Jul 1, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Do you guys know what to do with my dead bird? I wanted to do a necropsy on her. Do I put her in the freezer?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Wrap bird in towel, pack bags of ice in bottom and around sides of cooler and place wrapped bird into it (freezer packs work good and won't wet things down) do not freeze bird, keep it slightly above freezing.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I was told to refrigerate mine..

4. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    does the necropsy test for mycoplasma?

5. Halion

Halion Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    You can freeze or refrigerate the bird, I don't think it would matter as long as it's in the cold it'll stay fine. If you decide to put it in the freezer and want to do the necropsy when you decide, place the bird in the fridge overnight to let it thaw out. I'm sure straight to the fridge is alright as well. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

<- taxidermist [​IMG]

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Whenever possible, submission of the entire animal is preferred. Under ideal circumstances, the animal should be submitted as soon as possible after death. If a period of time must elapse prior to submission, the animal should be kept cold, but not frozen. Freezing produces artifacts that make interpretation difficult. Please include a complete clinical history with all submissions. It is most helpful when the attending veterinarian writes the history.

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/guidelines/necropsy/home.html

mitx wrote: does the necropsy test for mycoplasma?

If there are gross clinical signs it shouldn't be a problem. I know that here in MO. the culture is extra $

http://vmdl.missouri.edu/tests_avian.html

Some info, not specific to MG, from your neck of the woods: http://www.oavt.org/conference/docu...mily - Practical Tips for Pet Bird Sample.pdf

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I was specifically told NOT to freeze...

8. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    does anyone know how much a necropsy would cost?

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Depends on where u live and what they are testing for...I have to pay for x-tras but avian flu and shipping are free...I will have to pay for others....

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Depending on where you live and if you are NPIP certified, some states may do it for free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by