How to Prepare Your Flock For Winter 101 *Official Thread*

Quote:
Be very cautious using aquarium heaters! If the level of the water in the bucket drops below the "safe water" mark on the heater the glass containing the heating element will crack and break into the water bucket. Exposed wires, broken glass, electricity and water are a very dangerous combination! Keeping the water level high in the bucket will be important if you use an aquarium heater.

Buy a titanium heater and you won't ever have that problem. Lots of them come also with an element that turns off the heater once it's exposed to water. Can get on eBay for $20 or so.

Our winter was very cold last yr (For us--teens and even several single digits, more ice, sleet and wet snow than normal). I did the deep litter method on the floor and it worked well. I also put deep litter (pine shavings )on the 'dropping' board , I , also piled it up against the back wall.. trying to insulate their roosting area a little more. My coop has a 2x4 roost so they could cover their feet a little better. I replaced the water three times a day to keep it from being frozen..

This yr, I am trying very hard to get everyone introduced and into the big coop together, BEFORE winter hits.. Right now, I only have 5 big girls in there and the coop is 7x10 w/ 8ft walls and it will need the body heat of all the girls (I hope to have at least 12 again) to help keep it warm enough at night..

I used good quality birdseed for a scratch. I feed Flock Raiser 24/7 and I pulled a five gal bucket of greens for them every day and stuffed their suet cages several times a day.

We did end up placing a trap over the entire run so they could have a snow/ice free place to scratch in all day and not have to stay in the coop 24/7.

I have 2 pretty large chicken houses. I put heat lamps in both of them, and plexiglass over the windows. It's not toasty, but it's not bad. They free range outside, except for when there is snow on the ground. When they see snow, they refuse to come out of their houses. I put extra bedding in their houses as well and give them extra scratch and mixed bird seed.
I haven't used heated waterer's in the past, but I think I'm going to get a couple. I'm so tired of having to break ice!
During the day, the gang will often be found under my front porch. I keep straw under there for them and the dogs and it's pretty warm and protected from the wind. It's pretty comical to see my dogs and chickens snuggled up together!

Hello everyone! I am kinda new at this chicken raising. I live in Texas and it doesnt usually get real cold of long periods so my question is how do I prepare for the winter my chicken pen is all open just a top. In the past I put tarps around it and extra pinestraw in the nests they are dry so moisture isnt a prob. Do they need an enclosed house. And when should I put heat in there. What temps can they withstand.
Thanks
Linda

Anyone here from the Great NW? I'm in Seattle and a newbie in the chicken department. Although it does occasionally get cooler here in the winter, it's rarely below 30 or 20. Even still I chose relatively cold hardy breeds (Rhode Island Red - Mariglod, Black Star - Azalea, and a Blue Laced Wyandotte - Petunia). It is very wet though, so I think my main task will be to keep their feet dry. Their coop and attached run is on a slight hill so I don't think I'll have standing water, but already they're making quick work of their straw with the damp dirt, any suggestions? If I do tarp up a few sides of their enclosure I was thinking of using a heavy Visqueen type of plastic for light (we only get 6 hours as it is in the winter), but I love peeking out the window from the house at them, and the opaque plastic might just drive me buggy... I may just install a few sheets of plexi glass...is that overboard? (I guess I could install a few cameras...
wink.png
).

What are my fellow Washington/Oregon chicken owners doing this winter?

I live in the mountains of WV and we get some pretty cold and snowy winters here. My coop is ancient and pretty drafty...which is how I like it. I think birds don't do as well in heated and stuffy coops that are prime candidates for too much moisture in the air. Its this moisture that really causes the problems with chickens.

My coop has wire mesh windows floor to ceiling on one side. I have frames covered in plastic that I fit over these. I then plastic the window on the opposite side of the coop that is positioned by the roosts. I then refresh my deep litter by taking out the spring/summer litter and replacing it with new pine shavings. Nice and deep under the roosts and thinning towards the door.

My waterer is a rubber pan that I elevate on concrete blocks to avoid shavings spoiling the water. I add unpastuerized ACV to this, especially in the winter, to provide good probiotics and Vit. C. When it is really cold I'll suspend a light over the water to keep it from freezing but I may try something different this winter. I don't like the light being on all the time for my gals. They really need good rest at night and a natural laying slow down.

I leave the pop door open at all times unless the snow is really blowing in the opening and piling up on my deep litter.

In the winter I provide more whole grains and some alfalfa meal for my girls as their free ranging forage is not as plentiful. I also throw a handful of BOSS in their litter every day so they can still get to scratch and forage for something while also turning their bedding for me.

My birds stay snug as a bug in a rug under these circumstances and I don't have frost bite anymore since using the deep litter.

LOL, I know, mine love them, and the grey ones as well. Plus, they eat every table scrap I give them! I discovered that some are pickier than others. My flock that lives in the yard are more discriminating - the flock that lives in the back with the goats will eat anything I give them, from kiwi to dogfood!

Well don't think we will have much of a problem with snow unless the weather gets more freaky than it has been. Our problem is the wind and days apon weeks of rain , rain , wind and wind. THis is our first winter with chickens, or should I say the roos, 49 roos one hen. They are our clean meat supply, free range, fat and healthy. Its the dampness I am worried about. The poo builds up fast when you can't get out and clean the coup, guess the question is, with the coup being off the ground and the floor wooden slats, how to keep the chance of disease down with so much humidity. They will be stuck inside during the really bad weeks. Not a lot of natural supplies available here on the island like wood shavings , but they hold mositure too. The coup was rabbit cages before we got the roos. They are 3 foot off the ground with a ladder for them to climb in and out. The sides are mesh, metal roof, had to remove the insulation, they started eating it, and the side walls are plyer wood. How much does wind bother chickens and how much dampness. May close the back in with wood to cut drafts. They have self feeding trays and water feeders inside. The average temp here in the winter is around 45 degrees F. Freezes may only last for several days. 6 weeks no sun, shadow of the mountain. Near the sea, lots of wind. Any ideas for making a more comfortable place for my roos for this winter? They are big Red Roos, a hardy breed.

Back
Top Bottom