How to Prepare Your Flock For Winter 101 *Official Thread*

Quote:
are you saying that u house the chickens n rabbits in same house or is there a divide between them? if you do can you litter train your rabbit to used a litter pan if so u can empty the pan daily. i notice when i used wood shaving it i donot have to change the bedding so often. but right now i have free hay so i am using that up first.
also can a cookie tin heater under your waters and i would have the wire go though some kind of pipe[pvc] so the rabbits do not chew on the wire

Hmmm... never did see an answer to the question about what temp to start putting vaseline on the combs & wattles. And how often?

Great thread. Lots of good ideas!

Oh, one other question. Lots of people said they feed scratch in the winter. Is it not recommended the rest of the year? When is the best time to start/stop?

Quote:
Scratch raising the chicken's body temp during the summer ... that's not good.
But during the winter you want to raise their body temp so you feed them scratch.
smile.png

Humm, I would say start feeding it as soon as the cold weather hits.
smile.png

Quote:
are you saying that u house the chickens n rabbits in same house or is there a divide between them? if you do can you litter train your rabbit to used a litter pan if so u can empty the pan daily. i notice when i used wood shaving it i donot have to change the bedding so often. but right now i have free hay so i am using that up first.
also can a cookie tin heater under your waters and i would have the wire go though some kind of pipe[pvc] so the rabbits do not chew on the wire

I

Last edited:
Has anybody ever tried using an aerator in the waterer to prevent freezing? I know that I used to keep my bait bucket aerated and it rarely froze up. Maybe a high volume air pump and stone in the water would do the job?

Quote:
I've never tried that, but it makes sense that it would work. The creek on the farm where I grew up rarely froze, because the water was moving. I would think though with real cold snaps it might not work. Last year we had near zero weather for quite a while. You wouldn't think that it would get that cold in Virginia, but it does. I doubt it would keep it unfrozen during that kind of weather, but who knows? Worth a try.

Quote:
That sounds doable. I'd house the pump in something to keep it safe and dry and use the silicone tubing and not the cheap stuff so it wont crack and be sure to use a check valve.

Has anyone tried one of those pond deicers that stays just warm enough to melt a hole in the pond ice? In a small bucket would that be too warm?

Back
Top Bottom