How to prevent a potentially partially blind chicken from getting lost?

ohnoicantfly

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Canada
Hi, one of my hens is currently dealing with an eye infection and I believe it has partially affected her sight in one eye, as she seems to have a preference of using her other eye. Anyway, these past couple days when I go to lock the coop in the evening, she's never there. I think she gets lost as darkness falls. She shows up in the morning though, by the coop. How can I prevent her from getting lost?

Last edited:
Which eye is affected? Each eye is independent and will generally focus on distance or close objects, the left eye for distance and the right for finding food.

Either way, not being able to see will usually cause the chicken to remain under cover. If the run has no cover, then she will seek cover from predators she may not be able to see. In others words, she may seem to disappear but she is actually hiding nearby.

You do need to provide her with safety while she recovers. If your run is not covered, it might be smart to consider it so your chickens have this safe refuge.

It's her left eye.
I free range my chickens so they don't use the run. I do have a small covered run though. Should I limit their space to the coop and run until the infection subsides?

Back
Top Bottom