How to prevent digging under a chicken coop/tractor?

barbieszoo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
Stillwater, OK
I haven't gotten my silkies yet but am wondering what can be used to prevent predators from digging under the small cage/coop? I want to be able to move it around like a chicken tractor, and it will be under a huge tree, near our house, in a neighborhood, inside a tall fence which is within a chain-link fence. I know there are raccoons, armadillos, a fox, and skunks in the area though. Do I need to attach something around the edges of the bottom of it? If so, what would be moveable but effective and not an eyesore?

I used an 18 inch apron of 1/2 inch hardware cloth staked down to the ground with tent pegs all around the base of my tractor. I never had anything get in. Whenever I needed to move it I just pulled the pegs out, moved the tractor and then re-pegged it. Some people don't even bother with the pegs, but I wanted to be able to mow right up to the edge of the tractor and over the top of the apron.

Quote:
X2. I use this method for my run, I use U shaped pegs to hold it down, then a couple rocks. After a year grass will grow through the wire and secure it to the ground. For a tractor though, I would do as CMV suggested, some tent pegs
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom