How to prevent digging under a chicken coop/tractor?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by barbieszoo, Sep 16, 2010.

1. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    I haven't gotten my silkies yet but am wondering what can be used to prevent predators from digging under the small cage/coop? I want to be able to move it around like a chicken tractor, and it will be under a huge tree, near our house, in a neighborhood, inside a tall fence which is within a chain-link fence. I know there are raccoons, armadillos, a fox, and skunks in the area though. Do I need to attach something around the edges of the bottom of it? If so, what would be moveable but effective and not an eyesore?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I used an 18 inch apron of 1/2 inch hardware cloth staked down to the ground with tent pegs all around the base of my tractor. I never had anything get in. Whenever I needed to move it I just pulled the pegs out, moved the tractor and then re-pegged it. Some people don't even bother with the pegs, but I wanted to be able to mow right up to the edge of the tractor and over the top of the apron.

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:X2. I use this method for my run, I use U shaped pegs to hold it down, then a couple rocks. After a year grass will grow through the wire and secure it to the ground. For a tractor though, I would do as CMV suggested, some tent pegs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by