how to prevent mareks in 7 month olds

filmcmahon

Chirping
Nov 3, 2019
Ontario
hello everyone. tomorrow evening we will be euthanzing Ellie because she cannot walk, is very sick and obviously has Marek’s. None of my hens (5 others) have been vaccinated and i really don’t want them to catch the disease. if anything, what can i do to prevent them from getting it? we are changing all their bedding and food/ water tomorrow to be safe. Will vaccine do anything?
also they are all 7 months :)

hello everyone. tomorrow evening we will be euthanzing Ellie because she cannot walk, is very sick and obviously has Marek’s. None of my hens (5 others) have been vaccinated and i really don’t want them to catch the disease. if anything, what can i do to prevent them from getting it? we are changing all their bedding and food/ water tomorrow to be safe. Will vaccine do anything?
also they are all 7 months :)
I'm sorry you are going to be euthanizing your bird. But to know for certain she has Marek's you would need a necropsy.
If she does have it, the others were exposed long ago and vaccinating is not going to do anything for them.

I'm so sorry that you are loosing this hen! Do you actually have a diagnosis, or a 'best guess'?
Having a necropsy diagnosis would be best, because if she has Marek's disease, so do all your birds, and it can't be eliminated, or helped by vaccinations after exposure.
Some birds will get sick sooner, some later, and some won't ever be symptomatic, but all will carry the virus, and their feathers, and the coop dust will all carry it, for a year or longer.
Mary

I'm so sorry that you are loosing this hen! Do you actually have a diagnosis, or a 'best guess'?
Having a necropsy diagnosis would be best, because if she has Marek's disease, so do all your birds, and it can't be eliminated, or helped by vaccinations after exposure.
Some birds will get sick sooner, some later, and some won't ever be symptomatic, but all will carry the virus, and their feathers, and the coop dust will all carry it, for a year or longer.
Mary
we do not actually have a diagnosis. she has a collapsed crop, leg paralysis, and now she can’t move and her comb is collapsed. before all of the symptoms she didn’t lay an egg for about a week too.
just to clarify- ALL of my birds will die from this now?

we do not actually have a diagnosis. she has a collapsed crop, leg paralysis, and now she can’t move and her comb is collapsed. before all of the symptoms she didn’t lay an egg for about a week too.
No. That is not what we are saying. What we are saying is you need to get a necropsy to KNOW what has caused your bird to become so ill. It certainly could be Marek's but without a definitive diagnosis, you won't know.
The Marek's virus can live on feathers, dust and dander for up to a year. If it is Marek's the others have already been exposed and will be carriers of the virus and may or may not exhibit symptoms that may or may not be fatal.

I had 30 chickens.. After leg paralaysis and other Mareks signs, I finally sent my last deceased bird for a necropsy. She did test positive.
I know have 26 chickens...
All my older 1-2yr olds, seem to have a healthy enough immune system and not showing signs.. But since some were vaccines and others not, they are all carriers, butvthe virus (at this point) is just being dormant in their system. But for those not vaccinated, if their immune systems faulter, they could exhibit signs, eventually being fatal.
No amount of cleaning or changing food/water can stop the Mareks from peaking its nasty face.
From what I learned, Mareks is in dust dirt dander air and on your clothes n shoes, even in your own hair.
Younger chicks with lower immune systems, fall first usually.
I put new eggs in the incubator and keep them in a totally secure room, everyone must spray down their clothes and be freshly showered before entering the room, to keep the room dander dust free.. Once hatched, I have their Mareks vaccination ready... I will do this routine, until they are at least 7days old.
Sorry for your situation, as I've been going thru the same thing

No necropsy = no diagnosis. Reading about symptoms and what is "definitely Mareks" is no replacement for an actual certified diagnosis. A suite of symptoms does not equal Mareks. Do the responsible thing, get your bird necropsied. If nothing else, you might get other explanations and answers.

Vaccines won't do anything for adult birds. Chicks need to be vaccinated shortly after hatching or the vaccine does not work.

Back
Top Bottom