How to Price Eggs?

Current usual average price for non-chain supermarket/local large eggs for consumption around DFW is $4/dozen. Some sell easily at $5.50/dz, some have trouble selling at $3/dz, per their reports.

I don't expect to be selling eggs before next spring, but I've been keeping an eye on eggs prices and sales for over a year. I already did research and polled folks both selling and buying eggs at the local sales venues in my area, as well as answering posts asking for eggs locally so I could ask what exactly they were looking for and willing to pay. My results might be helpful no matter your location.

• Many would/do pay a premium for humane treatment, organic, free-range, cage-free, non-GMO, antibiotic free, hormone free, higher omega3, and/or colors other than white (!).
  • Most acknowledged that those local, non-factory eggs might not look perfect and were OK with slight to moderate inconsistency.
  • All wanted "clean" eggs.
  • They preferred delivery, or a pickup locations conveniently near their home/work/school/usual errand locations.
  • Most wanted a routine weekly purchase amount that could be canceled for things like vacation time, or increased during the holiday baking time.
  • Most preferred size large eggs.
  • Most preferred chicken eggs, though a very few wished they could get turkey, duck, or quail eggs.
  • All the professional chefs I spoke with wanted to be able to inspect the birds, their diet, and their housing personally, or by one of their staff. A few of the non-chef consumers also expressed this desire.
  • All expressed the desire to be able to refuse delivery of products they deemed sub-par.
  • Interestingly, not one person I spoke with expressed concern over disease related to purchased local eggs, or asked anything about health certification.
  • One person asked if my eggs were going to be gluten free. Yes, really.
:thumbsup:goodpost::thumbsup

First photo is from Walmart a couple of days ago..
IMG_20170610_123500.jpg

Second photo is an example of the time I was charging $3.50 a dozen for my eggs.
IMG_20170310_192457.jpg

I am sure geographical locations control the price.
Every Tom, Dick & Harry sells eggs in my county.
I sell out @ $2 and it still covers my cost of feed etc.

I sell my eggs for $4.00/dozen. If I get an overabundance of eggs I discount the older eggs and sell them for $2.00 a dozen. I candle all of the older eggs to make sure they are all good. I get too many for my family. We are rural agriculture so we don't get a lot of traffic on our road. I do have some signs out on the main road and down the side roads to our place. I have been selling them for many years so I do have regular customers and occasionally someone new see the signs and follow them.
IMG_20170723_124627.jpg

Nope. Not believing gluten can be passed into the eggs or meat. Unless everything I learned in biochemistry, chemistry, A&P is wrong, it's not happening. People saying they are having gluten reactions to eggs are just plain mistaken. Something else is causing their reaction. Gluten proteins are not special. While there may be little science on specifically gluten proteins being broken down in digestion, there is ample science regarding proteins in general. If we were talking about something besides a potentially allergenic protein, it'd be different. You'd be far far more likely to find a heavy metal contamination in eggs than to find a single intact protein strand transferred directly from feed to egg, or to flesh. Just not happening. I call BS.

It depends where you live. Everyone around here sell for $3 and one sells for 2 for $5.
I match that, 1 for 3, 2 for 5. My 3 customers buy from me for two reasons size consistency, any smaller than average or extra jumbo, I keep for myself. I also wash my eggs, that was the first thing all three customers asked, and would not buy unwashed. GC

First photo is from Walmart a couple of days ago..
View attachment 1087383

Second photo is an example of the time I was charging $3.50 a dozen for my eggs.
View attachment 1087387
I am sure geographical locations control the price.
Every Tom, Dick & Harry sells eggs in my county.
I sell out @ $2 and it still covers my cost of feed etc.
I neglected to add the carton factor.. Oops.
$2.00 with your carton/ $2.50 our carton.
We have about 15 loyal buyers. Most buy 7 to 10 dz at a time. I suppose they share w/friends/family/neighbors. They all call in advance and place an order. They always bring empty cartons.
We have an ad on Craig's list. We don't do drive ups. People blowing horns at my gate is annoying to me and my neighbors.

I have a big sign on the gate that says GOATS NOT FOR SALE. But we still have people blowing horns asking how much for the goats!
No Egg signs here baby!

Back
Top Bottom