How to proceed with this bumblefoot - no scab

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
Posting a picture from today and one week ago when there was a tiny scab. My duck had a week of Baytril, some epsom salt soaks, and the little scab was scrubbed with iodine twice a day. The swelling has increased while the scab is disappearing. She still holds her foot up, so I know it bothers her. I ordered an epsom salt poultice that was supposed to arrive today but has been delayed a couple days. I hate to cut into it and make it worse, but not sure what to do...wait for the poultice, or try something else
20230703_081344.jpg
20230710_191930.jpg

It looks like there’s one kernel, and the rest is pus. If you touch it, is it hot, squishy, or hard?

I ended up making a tiny cut into the scab area and it was healthy skin underneath there. I squeezed the area and could see a bit of a white bubble maybe under the skin, so made a very tiny cut there and some clear liquid sprayed out, then it just bled and bled. I sprayed vetricyn and covered it with epsom salt poultice (from Amazon for horses) and wrapped. I've been doing that now for several days and the swelling has gone down, though not completely. I will keep at it and see if that resolves it without any other cutting. She doesn't hold that foot up anymore - she actually holds the other one up and I think she must have a little sprain on that side. It's always something with ducks.

Glad to hear the swelling has gone down and she's feeling a bit better. I agree, it does always seem to be something with ducks.
If you can find Bag Balm, it seems to do wonders for sealing up any openings and helping with the healing. One of my girls had a bump that looked very similar to the one in your picture. I used Bag Balm on the bottom of her toe and Prid on the top for a couple weeks. We thought it was most likely a bruise type thing or maybe she had stepped on the spike part on the edge of a holly leaf. After a couple weeks of Bag Balm and Prid a little glob of something hard popped out on its own and the hole healed up in a couple days. I kept Bag Balm on the bottom of her foot while the hole healed up just to make sure nothing got in.

That's awesome. I will check out the Bag Balm. Last night I pulled out all my medicines, ointments, and supplies that I've gathered for ducks over the year - yikes, so many things!

Back
Top Bottom