How to professionally harvest an aggressive roo

DaWookie

Songster
Oct 22, 2018
Central texas
howdy folks. I do farm work for a older woman who has for some time had a very mean rooster on her little farm stead. She is a kind heart but new to the realities of country life. She has agreed to let me remove the rooster and take care of him after months of her (and family) being attacked by this rooster.

For the record this rooster is a impressive little bas$*@d, he'll attack the horses when they eat, the kids when they just try to walk by, he will even come after me, and I am by no means a small man.

So i can get this rooster offsite pretty easy with a large sheet and a pet carrier, but i was looking for advice on how to execute him, as i do expect him to be fighting the whole time, however i would like to give him a clean exit. Shooting isn't an option im just inside the city proper.

im not squeamish, i would just like to do this with a manner of professionalism. All of my hens would go right into a cone, and be gently sent on, but this guy is gonna fight. Any suggestions?

im not squeamish, i would just like to do this with a manner of professionalism. All of my hens would go right into a cone, and be gently sent on, but this guy is gonna fight. Any suggestions?
Are you gonna eat him?
Might try to do the deed at night with a dim headlight, they are calmer then.
Otherwise you'll just have to get a hold of him, wear heavy gloves and long sleeves, once you have a hold of his feet and hang him upside down for a bit he'll calm.
Good Luck!

Since you mentioned a cone I'm guessing you have one. Place a piece of rope/Paracord suspended from a nail above the cone and loop his feet through the loop and then place him in the cone. He should mostly settle after he's upside down and he won't be able to try and tuck his feet up and work his way out of the coop. Also even if he did manage to escape the killing cone the tether would hold him there.

Then process him like any bird. Slitting both sides of the neck without cutting the trachea. Bleed him into a bucket for easiest clean up.

It's not going to be easy getting him into the killing cone if he's not under control but it will be well worth it. Also I want to thank you for saving this kind soul from hanging onto such a mean bird and being trapped by him for the rest of his natural life.

We had one rooster that was so aggressive we had to wear gloves even at night. The thing was unhinged and it was our first year with chickens. He had been the sweetest chick but puberty made him crazy and he was relentless. We had to dispatch him with a gun because we couldn't get close.

Also be careful, if he's that mean he may try going for your eyes when you're holding him. I recommend wearing gloves with him.

What about grabbing them by the legs? I think that it would be easier for me. Bad idea?
If they're on the roost they're going to be sitting on their legs. If you try to grab their legs, you're going to get them standing up and riled. Just go in and grab them firmly over their wings with both hands, thumbs to the middle of their back and fingers over the wings. Firm squeeze, pick up, tuck under your arm like a football, and then grab the legs with your free hand if they're kicking. Much less drama.

If they're on the roost they're going to be sitting on their legs. If you try to grab their legs, you're going to get them standing up and riled. Just go in and grab them firmly over their wings with both hands, thumbs to the middle of their back and fingers over the wings. Firm squeeze, pick up, tuck under your arm like a football, and then grab the legs with your free hand if they're kicking. Much less drama.
Ditto Dat^^^
If you're just moving them to the crates.

Wow, you all give the most wonderful information. I'm still conflicted about whether to grab by the legs of around the wings, Only one way to find out which works best for me, I guess.
Have you handled your birds before? Grabbing around the body and wings, then 'footballing' really is the best way to keep them under control, but it takes some practice. Only time I hold a bird by the legs is when I'm lowering them into the killing cone, then into the scalder.

Back
Top Bottom