How to professionally harvest an aggressive roo

They're actually about the same to bag before after or during rigor. Technically you can move them during rigor it's just not always pleasant. We tend to get them into the right position before rigor sets in so that helps too.

They're actually about the same to bag before after or during rigor. Technically you can move them during rigor it's just not always pleasant. We tend to get them into the right position before rigor sets in so that helps too.
Are you doing 8 week old meat birds or layer breeds?

Aart, you were exactly right. Catching them from above and pinning their wings was a piece of cake. Not a peep out of either of them.

Forgive me original poster. I hope you don't mind me using your post until I update after I get the job done tomorrow.

Are you doing 8 week old meat birds or layer breeds?

I already mentioned it but no problem.

We raise and hatch heritage birds and raise the extra cockerals for meat.

We have also raised ten freedom ranger meat birds last fall as a first step into meat birds.

We will also be trying Cornish cross and more rangers this year.

We won't stop raising the heritage cockerals but are also interested in other options.

Since our poultry are free range and we see them forage up to 1/2 - 3/4 of mile from our house depending on the season. We spend little on feed to raise the cockerals until a couple weeks before processing. Obviously they also have free range feed when they're in the brooder. That is not to say they go hungry or we don't feed them. Just that they fill up on forage.

I'm done for the day. One sneaky old guy got past me as I was taking him out of the cage. I cursed when he got away but now that I have done one, I'm tired and glad that I didn't have to do the second.

I can't believe that it so fast and easy for others. Is an old tough rooster harder to do than a young meat bird? Everything on him was tough...even the skin! I had to work to cut off the neck. Was it hard for me because I'm a newbie?

I think I did a pretty good job for my first time. I cut him into parts and he's resting in the fridge now for a day or too. I hope the neck, back bone, and wing tips don't have to go through the rigor before I use them because they're simmering in the stock pot as I type. When the meaty parts are ready to cook I plan to make coq au vin. I found this wonderful recipe on epicurious.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom