Songster
12 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Western Colorado - Formerly E. TN Smokies
My Coop
My Coop
I have just found our first dead chicken. A GLW Hen
sad.png

She came here about 5 weeks ago, needing a new home, and apparently while the previous owner was putting her into a crate for me to take home, he/we broke her leg. I say broke because when I got her home, she refused to walk on it.. after a couple days she started hobbling around. She made steady progress for 3 weeks and was healthy otherwise so I added a chicken to her pen and they have lived happily for the last 2 weeks or so.

Last night she was in the nest box and didn't come out... today she is dead.

I don't know how to properly dispose of her body.
Bury? Burn? or worse.. send her off to the Landfill?

I could use some advice here on the pros and cons or the responsible way of dealing with this.

Short history - she HAD mites, previous owner treated her before I ever got her, she was clean and has stayed clean here. No other illness or signs of illness. Regular egg laying until yesterday, happy chicken. Normal poop, normal behavior, even some mating with the new guy. Both myself & previous owners are NPIP clean for pullorum/typhoid... clean & full access to food & water. Other than her hobbling around on her bum leg, she was totally normal.

First, I would hazard a guess that if he manhandled her enough to break her leg, it's quite possible she may have had internal injuries that you weren't aware of. Sometimes a slow bleed takes time to to major damage. Besides, you can't really know what the animal has been through before it came to you=)

As far as disposal of a body, there is always the "bury her in the yard" option. There is of course also the landfill, but it depends on the size of your property. If you do decide to bury her, make sure the hole is nice and deep- you don;t want the scavengers coming and digging her up.

Don't feel bad though- if she was happy and laying for you, you know you treated her well. Be glad for that=)

Hi Warfrost. im Dawn Suiter's duaghter we woild like to thank you for the support were going out toexamine her now to see of maybe she got a snake bite or something that we can identify.....
hmm.png

Burial is fine. If you have lots of scavenging predators in the area I would try to get a minimum of three feet of dirt over her. Sorry for your loss.

After an examination, we did find an area where her skin was torn back... on her back. Right where her feathers are slim from mating.... I can only guess that this was a result of too sharp nails on the boy mating her... or at least that is what it looks like.

Otherwise, something ripped back her flesh but did not take a bite...and her yard mate, is fine with no damage.

Since my city prohibits me from burying pets, I would take it to the landfill or vet to be disposed of.

For my chickens, I would say a little prayer for them and put their bodies in the plastic bag and put it in the garbage can on the day of pickup.

So sorry!

Back
Top Bottom