Cholesterol man

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2021
Hi, I have 3 chicks and they live in area where lots of rats are there. I am going for a trip for 3 days and givings chicks to my neighbour. There are no other predetor such as cat, snake and birds of prey. Does rat kill chickens ?, Please help

I have not had rats around chicks, just full-grown chickens, but regardless of whether they would kill the chicks, they're just bad to have around and darned hard to get rid of.

Hardware cloth is a great tool, but even with that, I would worry about tiny birds.

:welcome :frow I had a coop that was infested and tried a lot of different things but in the end bough some rat bait boxes and put them in our barn which is behind the coops. I put the bait boxes in pet carriers on a shelf so nothing but the rats could get to the bait. I did resort to using poison. I'm not advocating using poison only that I did. When I started renovating the coop taking out the ceiling and walls, dozens of rats of all sizes poured out and there were rat nests. I didn't find any dead rats laying around so I assume they went into some tunnels that were around the coop and barn and died so they buried themselves. Since you have only three chicks you could put them in a cage. I have some made with hardware cloth so nothing can get to my chicks. Good luck on your trip and have fun...

Rat will catch and kill even feathered out chicks. Gotta make a coop rat proof and keep them there till they are large enough to fend for themselves. After that, as always, use a treadle feeder so the rats cannot eat the feed. Once you stop feeding rodents they always leave for another food source.

Back
Top Bottom