How to protect comb from frostbite?

I took this in the dark, I can get more tomorrow.
16F2C76E-BEE9-4398-A6DA-727B7D919C79.jpeg
AD6D545C-FF70-44C1-8FCA-E8AB4F323AD9.jpeg

That's a really remarkable structure.

Did you have any rodent problems or are the bales too tightly compressed for that?
Thanks!

Weasels. We do have weasels. The bales are very tight together, and any cracks that were there I have plugged well with more straw. I am a little worried about a weasel digging out the straw I used to plug the holes, so I’m trying to think of something better to plug them with.

Thanks!

Weasels. We do have weasels. The bales are very tight together, and any cracks that were there I have plugged well with more straw. I am a little worried about a weasel digging out the straw I used to plug the holes, so I’m trying to think of something better to plug them with.

Can you add hardware cloth?

In high frost-bite risk settings I would consider dubbing. With respect to loss of comb and wattles the outcome is the same although risk of infection is much lower with dubbing. Birds in poor health fighting off infection often have other extremities at risk such as toes.

My chickens are outside and sometimes even roosting in trees when temperature is < -10 F and winds make for considerable wind chill, so they often have a tougher time than birds cooped at far lower temperatures. I really make an effort have the chickens in good weight and feather as well as with crops packed with energy dense food as going to roost during those conditions.

With chickens roosting in more protected environments, the frostbite often occurs during the day if birds cannot get out of wind and / or off really could ground. Under those conditions I like to put out mounds of straw / hay that the chickens can settle on to protect their feet. If their feet get too cold, they may have to shunt heat away from all extremities such as comb and wattles.

I have not had too bad a problem in very dry cold weather. When I will get frostbite, is when we have had cold weather, we get a chinook, everything thaws out, including the manure in the coop, and snow and ice melt, and then that night, the temperature drops like a rock. From 60 degrees to 0. THAT is when I will have frostbite.

Best thing is to get the damp bedding out of the coop, and replace with dry bedding.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom