How to protect comb from frostbite?

ButtonHoarder

Ich bin der knopfe
Premium Feather Member
Sep 11, 2020
Neptune
I’m not super worried about my EEs and Ameraucanas but my Speckled Sussex has a big floppy comb, I’ve heard of people putting Vaseline? Does that work?

I’m not super worried about my EEs and Ameraucanas but my Speckled Sussex has a big floppy comb, I’ve heard of people putting Vaseline? Does that work?
In my experience, I didn't find Vaseline to very helpful because it wears off too quickly...it might work if you committed to applying it 10x a day but who wants to do that?

The trick to helping prevent frostbite is to keep your coop as dry, vented and draft free as possible to avoid any condensation. Also, don't feed any steamy warm treats because the steam can easily cause the comb and wattles to instantly freeze. That's the best advice I can give you.

EDITED*** One more thing, make sure your roosting bar is wide enough - I use a 2x4. That way when your chickens are roosting their feet are flat and not curled around the perch. Roosting flat footed allows them to completely cover their toes.

Last edited:
Is there proper ventilation?

Unfortunately, odds are that there is going to be comb and wattle frostbite at those temperatures. We lose single comb tines and large wattles every year (practically a right of passage now for cockerels) and we get to-20 and -30 Fahrenheit
I actually just finished building the coop they are going to live in for the winter, just have to put the door on. It’s made of fescue straw bales. I think it has good ventilation?

It’s also helpful to switch to a nipple waterer in the winter (if you don’t already use that kind of setup) that way they aren’t dipping their wattles in water/reduces dripping down their face.
I do have one for them but one of the nipples fell out, but I think you can get replacements.

Back
Top Bottom