How to prove you're dominant to a horse?

Have to agree with everyone about the treats. Until she knows the pecking order, no more treats. Get your hands on any book by Parelli or John Lyons (his is the method I use). They both teach about how to show a horse that you're the dominent one by using body language horses understand, not hitting. I have two mustangs which I got from the BLM and they are both sweet, gentle animals. I had some problems with the gelding in the beginning thinking he was the dominate one, but using John Lyons round pen training helped immensly. Both Lyons and Parelli have training videos that are very good. You might see if you can find a place to rent them (one of our local tack shops has training tapes you can rent), as they are very pricey. This way you could see whose method seems to fit your style/beliefs better and make a choice from there. Another person who is really good is Linda Tellington-Jones, but I think I would start with the other two first. Good luck; once trained, mustangs make wonderful horses.
Liz

I agree NO MORE TREATS! I had this problem with my Hubby and all it does is make them fat and spoilt. You really need to spend more time with her. Also I forgot I reprimand mine by taking my fist and hitting the shoulder. My uncle taught me this is like the other horses do. Believe me this man could talk to horses. Thats another thing I wanted to tell you...Take a day you dont have anything to do and just sit in with her and talk without out talking..I know it sounds crazy but if you believe it and try it works. Ilearned alot from my mare that I have now..DH thought I had lost it. I found out things from her that I didnt know and I talked to the lady I got her from and she told me How did you know this? Just sit and talk to her she will talk back with pictures in your mind and you will understand where she is comming from. I sit out in the pasture some days nd talk to mine. Its amazing what it feels like and some will think you went around the bend, but it works. Just open you mind and talk to her. You will be surprised at what she will tell you. I block out everything but her and I do this with my other horses too. I tak to them without words. She will accept you better this way. All I can say is give it a try. They talk we just dont listen.
I hope sme of this helps...

Quote:
lol.png
My hubby, too! No more treats for him! Oh, you mean the horse!
lau.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Another good resource is the book "Horse, Follow Closely" by GaWaNi Ponyboy. Great info on just being one with your horse. (Can you tell I spend a lot of time reading).

Liz

Theories and explanations are all well and fine but where the rubber meets the road is what you feel think and DO around the horse. No amount of reading or talking is sufficient to teach those things, it's a matter of experience (preferably acquired under the guidance of a good mentor). I am not calling you inexperienced, I am saying you need more and different experiences before you are ready to work with this horse.

I am concerned you are on a fundamentally dangerous course with this horse, much as you love her and are trying to do the right thing. I am particularly concerned about
I've petted her, fed her, saddled and bridled her (and put up with the panic, rage and rearing that comes with that)

. If you are getting "panic, rage and rearing" from working with her and doing training things with her, then THAT IS A BIG RED FLAG. Introducing a saddle and bridle SHOULD NOT INDUCE PANIC, RAGE OR REARING, not even from a totally green horse. Not in any way shape or form - no. THat is not the way to do it. Yeah, you can get away with those methods on some horses, but not on others, and this horse, my friend, *this* is clearly one of those others.

I very strongly suggest that you find someone really good to help you learn to work with this horse. Right away. Before things get worse.

Really, truly. Please. I have seen this happen WAY TOO MANY TIMES and I know where it ends up. Don't go there.

Pat​

I agree no more treats. I also agree that horses only understand horse language which is usually initiated with a threat (laying ears back) then getting physical; whether it be biting, pushing or kicking. That's just how their world works, whoever is smartest and toughest wins.

I would get a round pen and get a professional trainer (I prefer John or Josh Lyons Cert.) to come do a training session with you on how to be the herd leader. Work on your "ground" work before you ride her again.

But in the meantime, I would not go into her pen without a long stick just in case she tries to bite or kick you again. The stick will keep her out of your personal space bubble. I good wap upside the neck or shoulder will set her straight if you do it right away. Also make sure she backs down.

I have a pushy horse and I had to really get after him to make him back down. You might even have to go after her a bit in a threatening way and if she turns her a-s to you toss the stick at her, just to scare her. I bet you'll find she won't be expecting you to be assertive.

I am not a trainer, but that is what I would do. I have done it with my gelding and he is not afraid of me or sticks and is not head shy. He also does not turn his backside to me any longer. The stick is just an extension of me. It helps me maintain a safe distance between us, because my safety (or yours) is the most important thing.

Edited to add Gawani pony boy has a video called, "Defining Your Space", I would recommend it.

Last edited:
I LOVE Pony Boy's training methods. They are very simple and effective, but gets the work done!

Do you have a round pen? I would start with some round pen work. Teach her to turn, stop, pick up speed, etc. Get her to listen to you.

Also, I would stop with the treats. Don't let her rub her head on you, and when you lead, get her to stay behind your shoulder. A lead horse never lets the other ones walk in front of them. (Never understood why they teach you otherwise in showmanship, etc)

If you must discipline her, you have to do it EXTREMELY quick. If you miss the three second chance to discipline for some bad behavior, just forget about it. Chances are, she has too. That's the problem with people. They hold on to things and horses could care less a minute after it occurs. If you are having a problem with biting, one of the best things to do is not to slap or hit, but rather "peck" the neck with your hand in the shape of a mouth. They associate this with being "bitten" rather than being slapped for no reason.

I will have to find out the name of that book, but just look up Pony Boy. I do recommend you get her refined in groundwork. With good ground manners comes everything else.

I am actually facing a similar problem with my horse at home. I too have to do some research and over come it this summer! I look forward to following this thread.

Look up Monty Roberts. He does this kind of training with horses using a round pen. The method he uses is the same as what the wild herds do. She will understand this training.

I would like to say that, in 14 years of belonging to internet horse forums, I have seen a whole lot of people really mess their horses up (sometimes dangerously so) by trying to learn round-pen work online or from books or videos.

If you have a calm horse with whom you already get along well, it is generally safe to try provided you stop as soon as there are any signs of things going wrong.

However I think it would be a bad, bad mistake to try it with a horse with whom there are already aggression and trust issues.

And if by 'mustang' you mean that this horse has ever actually spent time in a wild herd (as opposed to, her momma was a BLM horse but she was born domestically *after* her momma was pretty thoroughly gentled to the presence of humans) then I think that anyone but an expert trying to roundpen her would be about the worst idea I can think of.

Speaking from seeing this sort of thing happen SO many times, and wincing,

Pat

well, Id have to agree with lots of folks here. No more treats! If you want to give them some, drop them into their feed buckets!
Id totally agree also on the rearing,bucking,etc. when your saddling and brideling. Ive never had a young horse do that when saddling the first time and or putting on the bridle.
Sounds like you have a "lead mare"and or possibly "herd boss".
Are these actions new for this horse?
I do OTT TB's here and NONE of my horses are allowed to act this way! thats bottom line. IM herd boss and all my horses know this. Theres NO excuse for a horse "throwing a tantrum" or acting that way towards a human other then ill manners and challenging.
I do a combination of John Lyons and Clinton anderson here and I also deal with LOTS of resuce/rehab horses that came to us with some "issues".
Find a good trainer. One that will work with you and the horse together.
Best of luck
Tb

I recommend viewing some natural horsemanship ground work training videos. I have 5 young horses and the instructions have been invaluable. I wouldn't ride your mare until you can get her respectful and under control in the roundpen. Once you have her respect, she won't bite like that. Oh...and yes...no treats from your hands at this point. Treats are earned. PM me if you want some specific tips.

Back
Top Bottom