How to provide adequate ventilation without getting coop wet?

Hello, this is my first time owning chickens and this is their first winter. Where I live, the winds are brutal (70 mph gusts, 30-40 mph winds) and it rains and snows throughout the winter. I wrapped my coop and run with plastic sheets to keep the wind and the elements out and kept the entire door area unwrapped to provide ventilation.

Now, the coop I feel does not have enough ventilation- it has a window in the back but when I have it open, the coop gets soaked. So I had it closed and just had their coop door open slightly to allow SOME ventilation during the nights, but now I have a sick rooster with crd and another rooster with beginnings of frostbite. Most likely because there still isn't enough ventilation, and the only ventilation they do have is level with where they sleep, not above them.

I honestly don't know how to provide adequate ventilation without allowing rain and snow inside the coop. I just finished putting a wooden board holding the window open and tried putting plastic on the sides, but I feel like even this isn't enough, it will allow it to get wet inside, and one wind gust will blow it down.

Any help/advice?
Whatever you do don’t block eaves with bags or anything for that matter. I did after storm than ended up messing with ventilation. By blocking with bags I caused moisture in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom