How to put a chick to sleep?

The quickest way is Drowning in warm water..Sounds brutal but its quick....Only use that method on just hatched Chicks though....:hit
I have to dis-agree---if that's OK. The quickest way is to snap their neck or as I do---hold them by the legs and quickly sling them downwards hitting the back of their head on a solid table(or similar). Lights out!

two of the chicks had a hole in the stomach with their guts starting to poke out. I decided to stitch them up and apply Neosporin and they both seemed ok last night. This morning, one of them seems to be doing great, but the other's stitches apparently burst and I think the guts are hanging out too far for me to attempt again.

I never heard of this!! Sounds Like you are having incubation problems that need to be addressed. Try to find out why this is happening, your method of incubating, storing of the eggs--something is wrong somewhere. The reason I am saying that is for example I have hatched 10,000 chicks in the last 3 years or so----never have I had one born with its guts hanging out-----Maybe its the egg yolk not absorbed you are taking as guts hanging out---I do not know. "WE" will for sure try to help---if you want some help, but I can not help with putting one to sleep to sew its guts back in---never heard of it---Sorry!

I actually haven't seen any other posts about guts hanging out, but I experienced the same thing with the first chicken I ever hatched!!! I did not stitch her up though. Instead I gently pushed the viscera back in, and used Steri-Strips to form an 'x' over the belly button. Then I wrapped her in a warm wet paper towel and put her in a cup (on a heating pad, under a light), and periodically applied neosporin to the skin around to keep it lubricated. I fed her probiotic water and eventually some water/food mash from a plastic syringe for awhile also. I kept checking on the strips and would re-apply as the hole began to close.

However, I did recently come across this article recently and it seems to be a good one to have around just in case:
http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia
Helium is also a good option, because there is apparently less distress and is advocated by groups that believe in the freedom to choose a peaceful dignified death, like 'Last Exit'. I imagine a couple of helium balloons would work for this on a small animal.

I know just how traumatic the hole in the stomach issue is!
Great job being brave and doing your best to help them out. :hugs

(I realized 1/2 way through that this was from March of last year. I wish I was there to assist when it mattered. I am so sorry :()
What a useful post! Even tho late for the Original Poster your reply will inform so many others. :D Thanks for taking the time Hatchichickens :clap.

Back
Top Bottom