How to put a chicken down..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dgeter, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    My Seabright is dieing and she's getting worse hourly. I can tell she's in pain.. she keeps jerking and squaking. I don't know how to put her down in a painless and un-gruesome way. I'm not sure I have the strength to do this so any help would be appreciated..

2. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Can anyone help?

3. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    I'm so sorry!! I haven't had to do anything yet, but I understand that a freezer is easy. They just fall asleep.

Nothing can be easy. I wish you the best! [​IMG]:hugs

4. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Wouldnt she get really cold and uncomfortable first?

5. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    It is not easy, not at all, but what can you do when a pet is suffering? pick her up pet her, hold her by the neck and a quick "windmill" with the arm will end her suffering. Remember that you are helping to end your pet's suffering.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Ive been doing some searching and I think that carbonmonoxide is the best option for me. I can't bring myself to snap her neck or cut it off [​IMG]

7. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Quote:My method:

Place the chicken in a large bin with a lid. Add a chunk of dry ice in another container with a lid and holes in the top, and add water to it. Close the lid tightly and leave her be. You can also put a blanket or towel over the top to stimulate nighttime.

It sounds a little horrible at first, they often thump pver when the CO2 puts them to sleep. Leave her a few minuets in there before taking her out.

Quickest, easiest method I know of. Car exhaust can burn and sting.

8. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Thats good advice. I'll do that or the monoxide. But if I do the monoxide I will make sure its done in a way that the exhaust is going straight onto her. Maybe I'll just close the garage doors and turn both vehicles on. It'll take longer but she'll be more comfortable that way

9. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Be Incredibly Careful You Don't Kill Yourself With The Carbon Monoxide That Will Leak Into Your House!!!!

The Stuff Is Tasteless And Odorless And Invisible.

Seriously, That Is Not A Good Idea.

If She Is Somewhat Listless (will Stay In One Spot) It Would Be Better To Put Her In Something And Run Over Her Head With The Car.

10. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Our garage is detached and some distance from the house. But yea, still probably not a good idea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by