How to quickly clean dirty pullets?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, please don't judge. I have a dozen or so 3-month old pullets who are wet and dirty because of the way I set up their waterer. It's leaking into their galvanized steel tub. In the meantime, a local guy said he wants to come buy some of the chicks. Even if I fix the waterer and change their bedding today, how can their feathers be cleaned off quickly? They look terrible and they are probably cold.
20221205_092550.jpg

I'd probably give everyone that's dirty a warm bath, let them warm up and dry off inside and then put them in a much larger clean area. Unless it's just frigid where you are, you can probably stop using the heat lamp too if you make the area large enough they can wean themselves off if it for a week or two.

I'd probably give everyone that's dirty a warm bath, let them warm up and dry off inside and then put them in a much larger clean area. Unless it's just frigid where you are, you can probably stop using the heat lamp too if you make the area large enough they can wean themselves off if it for a week or two.
It gets below freezing outside, and inside probably at around 32^F at night these days. They seem pretty cold.

Should the wet washcloth or bath have any soap or other cleaning ingredient, or just warm water?
When people clean birds that have been in an oil spill they use Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Are wood chips the best bedding for them?
People use wood chips, wood shavings, straw, hay, grass clippings, dried leaves, and many other things. Whatever they use is best for them. I don't know what is best for you.

@Overo Mare @ColtHandorf thanks for your input. Should the wet washcloth or bath have any soap or other cleaning ingredient, or just warm water?
Are wood chips the best bedding for them?
I've used dawn dishwashing soap. It'll be important to get them dry and warm after the bath, though. Sometimes a gentle blow drying can be helpful.

Clean pine shavings is usually best in my experience with young birds. Those birds are old enough to be on the ground, though.
It gets below freezing outside, and inside probably at around 32^F at night these days. They seem pretty cold.
If they've gotten used to having the heat you may have to keep it on them until it's warm. Be sure you tell the buyer they've been on heat so they don't put them outdoors without it.

Thanks @ColtHandorf and @Ridgerunner . My place does not have hot running water (it has to be boiled on a propane stove), so I may just bathe a a few. Fresh woodchips, and fixing the waterer, seemed to make a difference for all except for 3 or 4 that look like they could still use a bath. Thank you :)
BTW, the photo above shows them huddled under the heat lamp; they have more room to walk around in the tank.
I'd be concerned about letting them out just yet into the garage/coop, because they might get chased outside by the older hens, and sometimes when they are that small they like to hide in cracks and nooks and then I can't find them at night to help them roost.

Back
Top Bottom