How to quickly evacuate chickens in an emergency

Sunshine Flock

Crowing
Sep 27, 2017
Northern California
I saw an adorable photo recently of someone who had prepared her chickens for an evacuation during Hurricane Irma.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/photo-of-chickens-evacuating-hurricane-irma-2017-9

She used newspaper and tape to stabilize them and lined them all up in the backseat of her car, beak to tail, beak to tail. It's hard not giggling when you see that photo.

And it got me thinking: We've outlined a decent plan for evacuating the cats and dogs, but I wasn't sure what to do about the chickens until I saw that story. If you don't have newspaper, your kitchen towels may be large enough to wrap around your rooster and hens. My rooster is in recovery from a coyote attack, and to flip him belly up we cradled him in a kitchen towel spread across my husband's lap, with space between his knees and thighs to protect Henry's topside injuries.

As I was lifting him up using the sides of the towels as handles, it occurred to me the towel could be wrapped just enough around him and secured with tape or a bandage roll that sticks to itself, should we need to evacuate.

Do you have an evacuation plan for your chickens? If there's time I'll give them some Rescue Remedy to help calm them during this process. I'd love to know your tips on how to protect chickens in an emergency. Thank you.

I just remembered:

Years ago a vet told me cats can safely be transported in a pillowcase if you don't have a carrier. They can comfortably breathe and may even feel very safe in there. This could be an option for chickens. A stack of folded pillowcases gleaned from a thrift store may be the easiest method. You could cut a hole for their head and then secure the pillow case with a torn sheet for a tie. This would be a good option if you're alone and don't have anyone to help you during an evacuation.

Hey CarolinaSunshineFlock

Yep, I loved the picture and it made me chuckle :D Good tips also.

Great topic for a thread and I look forward to hearing what plans others have.

We live in cyclone [hurricane] territory and due to their unpredictability, evacuation is not really an option because wherever you drive to, it may follow. Same as taking them to the cyclone shelter, not an option as no pets allowed. So, we have to make best with what we have in the home.

The coop and run is constructed to survive a good storm but I would not risk it in a cyclone and the chickens get to shelter in our bathroom. The dog and cats would be with us in the house which has seen a couple of cyclones and survived.

In the case of something like a fire, I have enough travel crates to contain our 2 cats and 5 bantams and get them to safety ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom