How to raccoon-proof these latches?

kat_and_hens

Songster
Oct 18, 2020
Maine
Hey friends! We are prepping our big coop for the girls to move into soon. They’re getting too big in the “baby” coop we have set up in our garage.

But I know these latches won’t hold up to a clever raccoon. I bought a different, pad-lockable latch from Lowes today but unfortunately it won’t work with the way our coop door is built.

Any suggestions on how to make these latches work to keep our girls safe, or suggestions of pest-proof latches that might work on our setup? The door is kind of recessed in the frame, which made the larger gate latch I purchased impossible to install.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 97720154-9C11-4064-9DF2-FC27A0D14D22.jpeg
    97720154-9C11-4064-9DF2-FC27A0D14D22.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 102
Can you add a thin piece of wood between the latch and recessed door to make that area flush with the molding? Does that make sense?

edited to add - that way, you have a level surface to put a new latch in place.
We may have to end up doing this because I’m really not sure what other kind of latch we could install on the existing door 😖

Hey friends! We are prepping our big coop for the girls to move into soon. They’re getting too big in the “baby” coop we have set up in our garage.

But I know these latches won’t hold up to a clever raccoon. I bought a different, pad-lockable latch from Lowes today but unfortunately it won’t work with the way our coop door is built.

Any suggestions on how to make these latches work to keep our girls safe, or suggestions of pest-proof latches that might work on our setup? The door is kind of recessed in the frame, which made the larger gate latch I purchased impossible to install.

Thanks all!
You might try putting a long narrow board over the top of them hinged at top or bottom somehow that you fasten down somehow so they can't be opened. I mean so the bolt knob can't be raised if possible. Something sturdy enough to keep the racoon from moving the bolt or getting to it. You might have to raise it on another piece of board but it would have to fit snug enough down on the bolt to keep it from being opened. I have the other kind of latch clasp and padlocks on mine to keep people out.

You might try putting a long narrow board over the top of them hinged at top or bottom somehow that you fasten down somehow so they can't be opened. I mean so the bolt knob can't be raised if possible. Something sturdy enough to keep the racoon from moving the bolt or getting to it. You might have to raise it on another piece of board but it would have to fit snug enough down on the bolt to keep it from being opened. I have the other kind of latch clasp and padlocks on mine to keep people out.
Just a note in case you don't have something to lock a board down often a screw on the board and the spot your going to fasten it to on the coop then some good strong wire is a good fix until you get a good latch or even as a solution if it is easier for you to work. Just wrap the wire around each screw and leave some extra for a handle. It works well as long as it is strong enough that the racoon can't bite through it. Electric fence wire that isn't real thin is easy to work for something like this and lasts awhile. If it breaks it's cheap to replace too.

Back
Top Bottom