How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
I got 26 fry pan bargain roosters to see what that was all about, and I wanted a selection of roosters to choose from. I called it "the bachlor game". when they were about 8 weeks old I gave alot of the obvious roosters to some hungry families and kept 6 different types of roosters, and 4 hens from the fry pan "00ps", and other hens that I ordered with that group. One I will call charlie chicken, BO, liked to come to have his chest scratched. The others avoided me, but I wanted to only befriend a willing rooster, not chase any one. Now at 14 weeks old. Lance an Australorp, started to come up to me, "but had not learned to attack from behind yet. I picked him up, hugged him, pancaked him and put him back down. later in the day Lance came back up to me. I put my arm around him and he bit it and hung on. I didn't react, but before I could remove him from my arm, Charlie chicken came between my arm and Lance, bumping Lance off my arm, then stood between myself and Lance so he could not bite me again.

I gave the other 5 boys to a lady looking for roosters for her flock, and kept Charlie.

I also gave her advice on her new rooster boys. I told her they are coming up to see people now, and will start to attempt things. This is the perfect time for them to learn what they should not do, and not get into bad attack habits. I told her not to push them off with a foot, they like this and think you are up for a fight. Since she had boys, I told her don't let the boys play fight the chickens, it makes it worse. If at the young age they come up to you, I pick them up, and carry them about, soon they will learn to avoid you or they want to be picked up. Most important don't show fear, and walk through the coop like a boss. Keep an eye out if they try to attack and never let them attack you even once. Mostly young roosters will try this, and stop once they start to really mate with hens. But if they make it a habit to attack they will continue. Chose good breeds BO or a real gentle boy would be a Brahma.

And know not all roosters are alike and not all experiences with be the same, and not all techniques will work on all roosters. But don't give up on owning them either.

This I will say, very little actual advice has been presented. Rather emphasis has been on philosophy. The OP needs details on approaches and explanations on why particular approaches work in terms of chicken and human behaviors. So far these threads quickly devolve in pissing matches that look more like simply cutting and pasting the same old remarks from other nasty threads.

Well I seldom if ever copy and paste, but do rewrite my old ideas. If I have offended you, I apologize, but I do think there is a world of difference in people who experience taking care of 50+ birds, verses people who have less than 6.

However, I do agree with the above, what works in one place with this rooster, may not work with another rooster. They are a crap shoot.

Mrs K

Well I seldom if ever copy and paste, but do rewrite my old ideas. If I have offended you, I apologize, but I do think there is a world of difference in people who experience taking care of 50+ birds, verses people who have less than 6.

However, I do agree with the above, what works in one place with this rooster, may not work with another rooster. They are a crap shoot.

Mrs K
I spoke of overall, not for all postings in the thread. You and your little buddy above with smiley face do often think about what is said and explain logic.

I think it is a free country, if people have Philosophies, or advice, I keep and open mind and want to hear, and listen. I make up my own mind if I can use the info, but am still grateful someone took the time to type it. some times new threads get put up, asking for the same info, new people want to know things, so things may be repeated, doesn't mean you have to read it if you don't want to. If you don't like a tv show, then change the channel. This web site is about sharing not blocking voices.

Back
Top Bottom