How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
I think it is a free country, if people have Philosophies, or advice, I keep and open mind and want to hear, and listen. I make up my own mind if I can use the info, but am still grateful someone took the time to type it. some times new threads get put up, asking for the same info, new people want to know things, so things may be repeated, doesn't mean you have to read it if you don't want to. If you don't like a tv show, then change the channel. This web site is about sharing not blocking voices.
You are not getting the gist. Information posted at some point needs be of a sort that helps people advance their knowledge, not just a view point expressing attitude. The attitudes are overwhelming the technical information needed by OP's.

The inconsistency in how to work with rooster rearing is very much a function of lack of knowledge on how to do it. Yes, it can be done many ways and many ways result in a range of outcomes. Methods of some, me included, consistently result in male chickens that mature into individuals that are predictable and easy to handle. My methods do not always employ rearing roosters with the much larger flock, yet they mature into easy to handle adults. That is why I am not putting a lot of weight into influence of large flocks on outcome.

Centrarchid makes a fair point but also illustrates the problem.
My belief is in order to raise a friendly rooster one needs to know something about their motivations and likely behavior in a range of circumstances. This could stretch to a fairly lengthy essay.
Unfortunately trying to raise any animal for a particular behavior set will also depend on the nature of the animal in question and the environment in which it is raised, not to mention the commitment and abilities of the person doing the raising.
There are just too many variables to be covered in a few thread posts.

Our roosters are raised, pretty much, "hands off" as stated prior here. I do carry a stick into the field, like a walking stick, 2 of our roosters have been a bit "forward", and all I have to do is point the stick at them, and they cut a wide berth and show their respect. Our roosters know we will do no harm to the hens, and we are likely bringing treats, they mostly keep a "dignified" distance, as they don't even want to be touched by the stick. NEVER strike them, All a forward rooster needs is it pointed at him.

This I will say, very little actual advice has been presented. Rather emphasis has been on philosophy. The OP needs details on approaches and explanations on why particular approaches work in terms of chicken and human behaviors. So far these threads quickly devolve in pissing matches that look more like simply cutting and pasting the same old remarks from other nasty threads.

There is a lot of digression and discussion of philosophies for handling roosters, but the practical advice is there it just gets a little lost and bogged down amongst some of the stronger opinions.

Back
Top Bottom