How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
I have. They know less about chickens than I do.
Have you discussed what will happen if he becomes aggressive? It may be best to not keep a rooster for now.

I have not tried some of the techniques suggested by other members. They may or may not work to turn him around.

Since there is multiple people caring for your birds it's harder to have consistent leadership. If he's already biting he's already too confident.

Some rooster require more work than others to turn out right. Yours may be too much for you, and your level of experience unfortunately.

You could try grabbing him if he comes forward. Hold him in a confident manner. I generally than will do an inspection of the rooster, which they generally don't like. Lifting wings, and things like that. He may grow tired of being grabbed. Don't pet him. It shouldn't be pleasant. Chickens generally don't like to be restrained, so just hold him firmly for a bit than release him. Hopefully it's enough that he stops coming forward.

Many interesting techniques here !! A followup question then becomes:
Can you have a rooster that's friendly to humans and is still a good protector of his hens? Seems like the less pet-like the better protector. In our area I've heard the worst predators are owls and skunks, although we also have fox, marten, bear, eagles, and plenty of roaming dogs. For us, the more help we have from a rooster the better.

I had a blue copper maran who was a beauty. I could catch him/hold him, he was not fond it, the hens loved him. A hawk got him, but I view that as protecting his ladies.

Can you have a rooster that's friendly to humans and is still a good protector of his hens? Seems like the less pet-like the better protector. In our area I've heard the worst predators are owls and skunks, although we also have fox, marten, bear, eagles, and plenty of roaming dogs. For us, the more help we have from a rooster the better.
Whether a rooster will run towards danger or away from it seems to be an individual trait that doesn't have nothing to do with how he is raised. It's the same with us humans. When there's danger some run away and others run towards it. Many times you have no idea which one you will do until something happens.

I find roosters that are only interested in mating than running away aren't good for anything. Roosters that tidbit hens and generally walk around with them are better choices for flock security. They will mate but also look out for dangers.

When a predator comes around or flies over I've seen some roosters run for cover than call hens to safety, and I've seen some try to round up hens. Others will just run for cover cackling the whole way.

You sometimes don't start to see these more mature behaviors until a rooster is 1 year of age or older. Others are good from the start. It's why I generally wait until a rooster is past a year old before I decide his fate as as an immature bird can be different than a mature one.

Those that obsessively mate I remove early, and permanently. I have found most aren't worth waiting until maturity as that trait doesn't often change.

Last edited:
I'm brand new to roosters so I find this all very informative. Mine was tossed over my wall ith a tiny hen (he's likely a Japanese Bantam) and has taken control of my little flock. He's not aggressive to me at all, but has definitely taken on leadership of the flock. I'm trying to get him to not be aggressive with the little hen he came with now and that's being difficult.

Yes, absolutely you can. It is much like anything else though, pure luck.
A roo is either freindly or not, a good flock master or not. These things are pretty well set as soon as a male hatches, some will disagree and that is fine. Sometimes you won't get both, he might not be freindly but he'll be a great rooster or vice versa possibly he'll just be totally rotten.
It is just pure luck.:)

Back
Top Bottom