How to RAISE a good rooster.

And I’m sorry you don’t agree on my roo raising but this way works, and how do you know it doesn’t work? Have you ever tried it?

Hope you have a great day @bobbi-j
I’m glad it worked out for you. All I’m saying is, it doesn’t guarantee a good rooster - not that it doesn’t work ever. There is no one perfect way to raise a rooster. What works for one won’t always work on others.

In 36 years of raising chickens, yes - I have tried many ways of managing roosters. I’ve had coddled roosters turn out OK, and I’ve had them get human aggressive. Since I’ve started raising them the way I do now, I’ve not had an aggressive one. So I’m my experience, I have found a way that works for me. You have found a way that works for you.

I hope you have a good day, too. The sun is shining, so it won’t be all bad. :)

Last edited:
Yes I know but you can’t just say it doesn’t work unless you try it that’s what I’m saying.

How do you raise your roos?
I have a roo that got in a fight with a big roo and a guinea fowl and he is scared for life. I’ve tried my method and he doesn’t attack he just runs when he sees anything.

He is the back Brahma. He is eating watermelon with his girl. Lol

He isn’t scared of his girls but everything else he is scared of

Attachments

• F1B1B85E-F02B-4370-B2E4-80324BB702BC.jpeg
    F1B1B85E-F02B-4370-B2E4-80324BB702BC.jpeg
    547.6 KB · Views: 5
I edited my previous post. Again - not saying it doesn’t work ever. Just that a blanket statement like, “Raise him this one way and it will work.” isn’t accurate. Might be better to start with, “In my experience...” or “This what worked for me.”

Aa to how I raise roosters - I am not looking for pets, so I use a more hands-off approach. I don’t interact much with them at all. If I have a cockerel that decides to challenge me, I stand my ground, act confidently, walk toward him until he backs down. In the day to day business with my flock, I go where I want when I’m out there. If a cockerel happens to be between me and where I want to be, I “walk through” him. I walk and he moves. I have yet to have one raised to adulthood in this manner attack me or be afraid of me. The one I currently have does not run from me. He’s the first one at my feet looking for treats so he can show his hens all the goodies he just discovered. Once that’s out of the way he goes about his business and I go about mine. Sometimes within inches of each other. Now and then I will reach down and pet him, just because I can.

I've had a few roos and honestly, I've found the hands off approach works best for me. I don't walk around my birds, if they're in the way they better move it, including the rooster. Other than that, I leave them alone.

They all have different personalities just like humans so one approach doesn't work for all I agree. We keep what works and eat or rehome what doesn't.

Firstly...:gig
Secondly, there are so many variables real and imaginary involved in getting what is considered an "acceptable" rooster it isn't even funny. Rambling on about it is perfect practice for blowing smoke up an arse and not much more.
In the end it isn't rocket science it is a chicken with testes.:D

Back
Top Bottom