How to raise a rooster chick to be nice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua

Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua Crowing

Dec 17, 2017
    North Carolina
    I just hatched sexlinked chicks and I only have one rooster I don’t have all afternoon to handle them but I really really want a docile rooster any tips or advice?

2. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    Honestly it just comes down to what his personality is. I've had some roosters that I handled every day, but once the testosterone kicked in, they became a nightmare to deal with. But the majority of my roosters have been friendly. So I think it comes down to the individual rooster, and whether his father was aggressive or not. In fact I never breed aggressive roosters, so that the offspring has a smaller chance of being aggressive. But I do think that handling him daily, to show that you are not a threat can definitely help as well. Good luck!

3. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    I treat my rooster well but I dont become overly friendly with him? NOT that I wouldnt but its the only way I have figured out to keep them from being people aggressive.

4. Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua

Dec 17, 2017
    North Carolina
    Thanks both of you and the father is very very aggressive so I will handle this one more :fl

5. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    What are the breeds involved?

6. Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua

Dec 17, 2017
    North Carolina
    they are a blue Andalusian and Barred Rock mix! Very pretty the top is silver!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: