How To Raise A Rooster

Anybody with a question about how to handle a rooster to make them respectful of human authority - read the first page.
thumbsup.gif

Roosters are beautiful and loving animals. I've had atleast three or more roosters for years. I've made pets out of every one of them. The are loveable and some of them were so tame, they would follow me like a dog. Cochins, Silkies, RIR bantams are some of the best roos for pets and very easy to tame. It takes a bit more work with the bigger guys, but they can also make great pets and protectors for your hens.

I had my hens breed once (and never again, because there are so many chickens at the rescue centers who need a home). I ended up with 7 roosters. One stayed with the flock, the others formed a bachelor group. The bachelors got to roam freely all morning. The hens with their rooster roamed all afternoon.
I've never had an aggressive rooster. And I never tried to turn them into pets. Yet some are more affectionate than others.

Of course you keep them separate for a while until you know they are well. If they aren't well then you treat them until they are.

I understand quarantine works for some things but carried diseases like Coryza and Mareks cannot be removed by quarantine.

Do you mind if I ask whereabouts you live? I've never heard of chickens at a rescue shelter

People there had wrote: No huging or kissing, cuz it after rooster can give no respect to you. No my pet roosters respects me, and I like to take that buetiful roo and sit down together and chill. My Vorwerk is my n1 boy, he had been taked in hands would say like all his life from I buy it 2.5 months old. Even now he kind a try to avoid me when im next and he have some place to cover himself, if not, he just stands even next to me, remember when I had to take him to live few days in my house, when I go stright to him, he ofcourse had no places to hide, and he just sit down. Was a funny view. :D

+ he kind are not in to me cuz he doesnt need anything from me, he is so docile to hens, tolerant, and always give food to them, I even cant him give a bread or pancake, he gives all back to hens, I used to bring him away from hens and feed in some corner, but as he grow older (today almost 11 months old) he even dont eat around a corner. That breed is with small apetites too. But he likes to to be around me. He had used to see always when I see him, go after him and pick him, so I i often just dont give a attention to him, and with next day or two, he feel super comfortable with me. So: He is nothing more than perfect. He is so ecomic, watch for predators, pretty brave, and notice all his ladies from sounds, if some younger rooster try to mate his ladies, he always are there. + He can live next, shoulder to shoulder with 4 more younger roosters.
One of them is almost 8 months rooster.

I only noticed that hes going to bee a rooster after 4 months of old. I even post him there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/932491/gender-of-4-months-old-hybrid
He had always runed to me when see me, even before, I just need to call him, or show finger or smth, and hes next to be, and I just could stroke him like a kitty. He was so comomicable with people, he even go next to neighbour while it remonts his car. And hes from birth is first in chiearhy from all hatched chickens.
He from young age kind a try to mate my hand, and while growing after 6 months, when hormones hit high, he even try to bite me in shorts and try to jump on and mate, but then i hit him, and he startet to be afraid of me like of monster. But with week or two we worked out and are cool, we can go next to each other, hes like the first of all my roosters to go for and take in hands. And we can sit together and chill too, he is very interesting personality.

This is last one. 6 months old, one of 3 brothers I got. But i gave attention only to this one, from I recognize its going to be a rooster cuz I wanted a black rooster, and this one was the biggest and n1 from all hatch. Give attention from 3-4 months of old, so as all chicks can freak out, I started to tame them with my tactics, till I could stroke him and he talked to me with his deep voice..
But, turned out I keep his two brothers too, one cuz it is, i thought is gonna be a copy of his 5 years old father, which I cant take in hands with ease, and aint my friend, parents get him 3 years old, and I started working with these chicks only before 10 months, so, he was at least 4 years old, only what I had get with oldie, he isnt freaking out in my hands, I even cleaned his feet from mices., So from youngster i wanna see how he is going to turn out, second is whole black. One of them I try to get friends with, With other two roosters I start to give attention from 5 months of old. So, they're aint so friendy as this one in photo, I cant walk slowly to him, sit down and stroke, and hes good with it.
The brownie, who is pretty similar to father, freak out when i take him in hand, he come to me only when I give him a bread or smth, but I cant stroke him while he is on roost, same as black one, but that black i can take in hand and it dont freak out.
Soooo. Long writing there. Im gonna look out how all is going to turn out, while all is going to grow up.
P.S, my old 5 rooster live seperated with fence, cuz he hates others roosters, he is kind a RIR blooded with temperament.
But im looking for my Vorwerk to take over, and I guess, Vorwerk as number one, aint gonna try to kick old roosters ***, so all depends how docile oldie going to be after Vorwerk kick him. Were growing spurs now. He had fought btw, Vorwerk looks great, but old *** have bad *** spurs, Vorwerk had nothing.
End. Thanks for readind, sorry for longness, and probably for not so great language.

P.S, Vorwerk, I had trained him, throwing, runing after, so we have our respect.
White, just respects me a lot, and i can take him in hands in anytime.
With black with right going after him were very cool, but hes real country boy.

Last edited:
I understand quarantine works for some things but carried diseases like Coryza and Mareks cannot be removed by quarantine.

Do you mind if I ask whereabouts you live? I've never heard of chickens at a rescue shelter
Me either. I would expect they have large numbers of roosters and old hens. I also would not treat a sick chicken, it would be culled.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom