How to raise humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by playswithfowl, Jan 19, 2008.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I have a hova-bator, and started it up yesterday. My temperature I am starting to figure out, but the humidity is at around 33% the manual said to fill up tray A with water so I did, but the humidity is really low. It says that it has a low of 27% and a high of 59%. What do I do??? [​IMG]

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I have a hova-bator too and when I filled up tray A the humidity was where I needed it at 45%, but not for long. I ended up increasing the humidity in the house with my humidifier and that kept the humidity in the incubator stable for the most part. I did have to add about 1/4 cup of water to it daily though. Good luck.

3. littlepeep

littlepeep New Egg

Jan 19, 2008
    Try putting in warm water rather then cold. And try 1/2 a cup.[​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

To raise humidity you need to increase the surface area of the water. One gallon or one cup with only 10 square inches exposed will raise the humidity to the same level, but of course, the one gallon will prevent you from filling as often.

Fill with warm not hot or cold water, as cold will lower incubator temps, and hot may cause steam that will condense on eggs and bator which is not so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by