How to raise quail for recreation?

thelukai1100

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
I want to raise Bobwhite quail for hunting, I have my pen made. its basicly a large empty room (putting lights and shavings in soon) in my garage. with a 3'x8' rectangle opening which leads to a flight pen sort of thing. its 50' long 10' wide with a mesh top and chicken wire sides.

I have read somewhere about raisng they're food and water so thy have to fly up every time to eat and drink. to strengthen they're wings but how would i do this? I know how i would hang the feed and water. but how would I teach them to fly up to eat and drink, and at what age should I do this?

if anyone has any tips i would appreciate them.

There is no need to elevate the food and water. Giving all the room you are providing, they will naturally fly for exercise on their own frequently. Provide hidey places using leafed out and plain branches cut from trees. Quail like to hide most of the time.

There is no need to elevate the food and water. Giving all the room you are providing, they will naturally fly for exercise on their own frequently. Provide hidey places using leafed out and plain branches cut from trees. Quail like to hide most of the time.
Thanks for the help! I plan on using my quail to train my Hunting dog. and when its trained I would like to make a Quail "reservation" on my 50 acre piece of land.

Last edited:
Go to www.tamu.edu to Texas A&Ms website, then at the top right side of the page, do a search for "quail". They have 2k web pages pertaining to quail. Some of them detail how the typical land owner can make his property more for quail.
Will that "quail reservation" be covered? If you release your quail, that may be the last you see them.
Good luck.

Go to www.tamu.edu to Texas A&Ms website, then at the top right side of the page, do a search for "quail". They have 2k web pages pertaining to quail. Some of them detail how the typical land owner can make his property more for quail.
Will that "quail reservation" be covered? If you release your quail, that may be the last you see them.
Good luck.

I did this 5 years ago, they stayed in the area and I saw a few last hunting season. but when I raised them last time I didn't have a flight pen. so they would fly up 4 feet and fall back down.

Back
Top Bottom