How To Recognize Dead Embryo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by team edward, Feb 22, 2012.

1. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Hey I've got eggs in the incubator, and the embryos don't all look the same. (I'm candeling.) How do you tell if an embryo is dead? Thanks

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The most important thing I look for is viable vessels. If the blood vessels are well defined and red with lots of tiny vessels leading off the larger ones, I consider that egg to be viable and I leave it in, even if I can't detect motion. If the vessels are thin and wiry and darker in color, I question if the embryo is alive. Then I look for motion. Last, I hold the egg horizontally and give it a quick turn or two to look for any weird floating type movement that may indicate embryonic death. If all your eggs were set at the same time, all embryos should be the same size. Some folks use the float test which I do not trust. I always candle my eggs when they go from the turner to lockdown. Any egg that isn't filled with a dark blob gets a second look. Golden rule: If you have ANY doubts about an embryo's viability, put it back in the bator and candle again later.

3. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Thanks so much! I'll give them all another look... [​IMG]

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I only candle on day 10. If I see any blob at all then I leave it. I only toss the clear ones.

5. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    X2, also when you rotate the egg,all the contents are very jello-ish in movement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by